Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

drive set up

Old 02-22-2005, 08:11 AM
wiz0852
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drive set up

What is the best drive setup (type) for a 56" Deep V hull??
Old 02-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Zac Price

Default RE: drive set up

What type are you looking for? Dual rudder, single offset, inline? Or what will the boat be used for? The Dual rudders turn both ways really well but may scrub some speed. An offset is very popular and can turn both directions but it will turn right better. An inline will turn both ways also, but has a tendency to scrub speed in the corners and not a favorite in my book. I like the offset the best, but the duals can be nice too.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:56 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

When you say best, is there no price limit? For the best yet pricy and if you like the bling-bling, see http://www.ballantinehobbies.com/ . If I was going to build a no-holds barred boat, it would have his hardware on it. Otherwise I would use Speedmaster or M&D Designs stuff.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:30 PM
wiz0852

I`m just talking about type, surface drive or prop underneath the hull. It`s not for racing but I`d like to get some speed out of it on a little 15 acer lake. it will more than likely have a twin rudder setup on it.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:22 PM
Ron Olson

Surface drive. It allows you to rurn a larger prop and lets the motor wind up a little higher plus the roostertail looks cool!
Old 03-05-2005, 10:10 PM
gazza25

can you tell me what surface drive is
Old 03-05-2005, 11:57 PM
Ron Olson

A surface drive exits the transom while a subsurface drive is usually under the hull or fully submerged. Here's an example of a surface drive:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40394.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	238676  
Old 03-14-2005, 05:48 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

HI RON YOUR THE GUY TO TALK TO THEY SAY I AM A SCATCH RC PLANE BUILDER FROM 40 SIZE TO GAINT SCALE NOW I WANT TO BUILD A BOAT I GOT PLANS FOR A 5'OR 60" PT 109 BOAT I HAVE TO USE ELETIC THE LAKE THAT WE CAMP AT WILL NOT ALLOW ANY THING GAS NOW I NOW HOW TO SET UP GAS FOR PLANES BUT HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT BOATS CAN YOU HELP :WHAT SIZE MOTOR-BATTERYS SO ON& SO ON THANKS RYE {I FLY 53}
Old 03-14-2005, 11:35 PM
Ron Olson

Yeah, blame me if something goes wrong or if I'm wrong!!!!!!!
Scale boating isn't one of my strong points but I do have a little experience with them. That's pretty big for a PT boat but the size will allow you to really detail it.
I can't remember off hand if that has a dual or triple drive in them but you'll probably want some motors that will give you some scale-like speeds. You can get some gearboxes that you can use only 2 motors with 3 output shafts or run one motor for each prop. RAm or M.A.C.K. should make what you'll need. Check with Cindy at Al's Hobby Shop in Elmhurst, she knows her stuff when it comes to boats and should be able to help you out.
The large scale boats that I've seen run have used motors from all kinds of sources. One ship that I saw had power seat motors from a car to power it.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:39 PM
rye

thanks ron i know cindy i go there all the time i ask her rye
Old 03-16-2005, 01:52 PM
pompebled

Hi Rye,

For a boat that size the best source for electric motors is the scrapyard.

If you want the model to run with two motors, try to find two similar fan motors, the one that drives the fan in front of the radiator.

These 12V motors have an incredible amount of torque and allow you to run the proper size prop (up to an X 65mm, 1,65inch) without any problems, these are high pitched props, with moderate pitch even bigger props are possible.
Biggest advantage in my opinion is the fact that there is no need for (noisy) gears, direct drive is smooth and silent.

Plus the cost for these motors is very low.

You can run these motors off 12V sealed gelbatteries, for long runtimes and scale speeds, switch the batteries in series (24 Volt) for fast running, but shorter runtimes or go for NimH batteries, which are lighter (but more expensive) and will make a missile out of your PT 109 (absolutely not scale. but great fun!).

If you want to use three motors, look for wipermotors, which are lighter, less powerfull, but hey, there's three of them.

Watercooling the can is sufficient in scale running, when you go for ballistic speed and NimH's, also cool the brushes.

Regards, Jan.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:14 PM
rye

THANKS JAN I GOING TO LOOK IN TO THIS RYE
Old 03-31-2005, 05:14 PM
rye

HI GUYS LOOK WHAT I FOUND ON E-BAY THESE BOATS ARE BEING TURN IN RC BOATS BY CUTTING THE FLOORS OUT UNDER THE SEATS I PAY 300. SHIPPED IT IS THE RIVA AQUURAMA 35" DOSE ANY ONE HAVE A IDEA FOR RUNNIG HAEDWARE AND ENGINES ELETICS RYE YOU CAN SEE IT ON EBAY LOOK UNDER RC BOATS RIVA