Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

how do u paint a flawless line?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

how do u paint a flawless line?

Old 03-05-2005, 01:25 AM
jserb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do u paint a flawless line?

just like the title says. how do u paint a flawless line?!?? anyone have any tips/and orknow of any products,// tapes that work well against a fiberglassed area??? i need that perfict line
Old 03-05-2005, 11:29 AM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: how do u paint a flawless line?

some good masking tape (i like the blue stuff), and some DANG good eyeballs. Just position the tape sraight and "eye-ball it" to get it right, it may take some time to get it right. Also, some companies make masking tape in small diameters, ie. 1/4" & 1/8", if you want to lay a color down first, you can stipe it with a small diameter tape and then go over it with another color.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Zac Price

I like the 1/8" tape. It is like a pin stripping and is a plastic bendable tape. Good for those corners and windshield areas and can be bought in auto paint shops. After I paint, I peel (while wet) and angle the tape back over the part to be peeled at a 45 degree angle. This helps cut the line rather than lifting the paint up.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:29 PM
jserb

i have heard of some kind of tape that u put on, that gets a much tighter seal on the fiberglass, although i do not know what it is called to pick any up. (yes i have heard they carry this tape at automotive shops) but i still do not know the name??? and i do not know of any tricks..do u use spray paint?? or would a brush work better so the paint dosent seap under the tape??...like i said this is a very critical area and if someone knows any tips and such about this PLEASE help!!

John
Old 03-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Zac Price

Are you painting on the outside of the boat or the inside? I would never paint the inside, but the outside is just like painting a car. Definatly spray so you don't get the brush marks.

I start with this [link=http://www.classicsandcustoms.com/eastwood/products/51.asp]tape[/link] and then use 3M masking tape and paper to cover all other areas.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You can get the twin line pinstriping tape but you can't leave it on long as some brands actually melt into your main paint. What is nice is that once you lay the lines on, there is a clear tape that you remove that you can paint in between.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:53 AM
superrod
My Feedback: (16)

The stuff you want is called "fine line" when you go to the automotive paint store that is what you ask for. leaves a lean edge.
Jimmy
Old 03-09-2005, 01:25 PM
jserb

hey guys i just wanted to thank all of you for your help!! its funny but yes i needed to know "what exactlyty i should ask for when i gop to the automotive shopp" i guess some people just need speciffic directions, (like me!! ) once again thanks to all of you!! my boat will be much more now that i have gottin your help!!

john
Old 03-11-2005, 08:49 PM
playtime56
My Feedback: (1)

Just got some stuff from RC Boyz called Bob Dively Liquid Masking Film. It's a liquid, you brush it on where you want to mask, let dry, then carefully cut lines and peel out area too be painted, spray or brush your paint, then peel off the rest. Haven't done a whole job with it yet, but have some drying now. Looks like it will do the job. I bought it to use inside a 1/10 scale polycarbonate car body, but it should work for nearly anything we paint. My 2 cents. Best to ya!!!
Gordy