Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

have some ideas about a boat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

have some ideas about a boat

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 11:59 PM
samp615

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default have some ideas about a boat

i decided to come to the boat forum and saw some pretty cool stuff, so i really wanna make one. i have no idea how these works. i was just curiois as to how to make one tho. are these made of balsa wood or what? if i were to make one from scratch would it be somewhat cheap(keeping in mind i have a radio and servos)? i would want to make one that would have a gas, or electric engine, whcihever works best for boats, and is cheap. i lke the kind that are simple and have the engine on top with a porpeller then have a rudder. does anyone have planes of a frame they can post.

obviously, i have no clue what i am talking about, this go easy on my please

thanks
sam
Old 03-06-2005, 01:07 AM
LtDoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: have some ideas about a boat

Sam,
Model boats can be made from wood, plastic, foam, fibreglass, just about anything you can make into the right shape. Which should you use? Whatever you are most comfortable working with. There is no 'best' thing to make a boat from.
In general, it's almost always cheaper to scratch build rather than buy a kit. ~IF~ you have, or at least have access to the various materials needed. So, scratch building isn't always the cheapest way. Sometimes a kit (where someone else has already done all the scrounging of parts) really is cheaper. Sort of depends on how good a 'shopper' you are.
There are lots of difference 'types' of boats, the 'go fast', scale, gas, nitro, electric, and wind powered. What kind are you interested in? The one thing you can say about all of the different 'types', is that it is going to be more expensive than you originally think it will (I think there's a law about that).
Already having your radio equipment is definitely a bonus. There's also a 'catch' to it! I hope it's a 'surface' radio system and not for aircraft. You really don't wanna mix the two, causes problems and irate modelers.
So, narrow your fields of interest down a bit, do a lot of reading/research about particular boats you like, then decide if you want to jump into it head first.
- 'Doc
Old 03-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: have some ideas about a boat

What you want is an airboat then. Go over to the forum on airboats and check it out, there are plenty of people that build low-dollar boats and are very helpful.