Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

radio interference?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

radio interference?

Old 03-16-2005, 09:38 PM
ernest2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio interference?

will a chain drive interfere with the radio? i am planning using bmx chain ring and chain. and then i just thought of today that this might produce interference to the radio. any thoughts?
thanks!
Old 03-16-2005, 11:46 PM
LtDoc

Default RE: radio interference?

Ernest',
Is it possible for a chain-drive to produce interference with a radio? Sure, it's possible. Any intermitant metal to metal contact can produce noise, both the kind you hear and the kind your receiver hears. While it's possible, it's also very unlikely that your receiver will be affected by the chain-drive. Even if it is, it's not difficult to 'cure'. Just ground the drive system to the motor's case (same as the caps used for motor supression are).
- 'Doc
Old 03-17-2005, 12:05 AM
ernest2

doc, what do you actually means by "ground the drive system to the motor's case".
well that gives life to the idea, i think i will push through this system. would mounting the radio equipment as far as possible also helps?
Old 03-17-2005, 12:24 AM
catalina13

Hi Doc,this is abit off the subject You guys are talking.I have a Older Futaba 4Ch.AM for Aircraft,can I convert this too Boat Frequencys? Thanks.Smitty.Catalina13
Old 03-17-2005, 07:32 AM
LtDoc

Ernest',
'Grounding' to the motor case just means to make an electrical connection between the chain drive (mounting bracket, maybe?) and the motor's case. Distance between the drive system and the receiver will make some difference also, but I've no idea how much, can't hurt though. It also helps to segregate the 'kinds' of wiring, power(motor), signal(servos), and RF (receiver), if possible.
'Probability' and 'possibility' are not always the same, so if I wanted to use a chain-drive I'd certainly do so. Then, if I had problems I'd cuss it a while (and the idiot that gave me the advice) and then 'fix' the problem - LOL.
- 'Doc
Old 03-17-2005, 07:40 AM
LtDoc

Smitty,
Got the email, watch for it. Still looking for the address.
- 'Doc
-----------------
Smitty,
Found it! There are two address, not sure which is
the one to use, so take a look at both.
'Doc

http://www.hobbyservices.com/service-form-futaba.html

http://www.hobbyservices.com/futaba-rates.html
Old 03-18-2005, 12:30 AM
ernest2

ok doc, thanks!
Old 03-18-2005, 01:49 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You just know that I've got to ask and wonder why someone else hasn't yet but what are you doing with the BMX chain drive? You're talkng some big gears there. I'm into bikes a little, I have a recumbent and my kid has bikes all over the backyard that people toss out during junk pick-up.
Smitty, you can't do it but Futaba or their service center can. They have to be retuned and it probably isn't cheap. You might be better off buying a 4-channel radio system that is already set up for ground frequencies.