Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to seal a pushrod exit?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

How to seal a pushrod exit?

Old 03-28-2005, 06:45 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to seal a pushrod exit?

I have been using my nitro hammer and am getting sick of having radio problems due to water. Some of you will know the standard box is not very waterproof. Last weekend I had a servo fail due to water. I had not swamped the boat but enough water got in to cause damage. I ended up replacing both servos only to have a servo fail again the next day.
I am going to make a new waterproof radio box. I have figured out everything apart from how to seal the pushrods comming out the box. I would prefer if someone had an idea that did not require special parts or seals as getting model boat gear where I live is very difficult.
How do you do this?
Old 03-28-2005, 09:30 AM
pompebled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to seal a pushrod exit?

Normally I'd say, order and use the standard rubber boots, but as that seems to be a problem in your neck of the woods, try the following:

-Get some small balloons,
-glue a piece of pipe, big enough for the pushrod to pass through, accounting for the sideways movement, as you're close to the servo, into your radio box,
-slide a balloon over the pipe and secure it with a tie wrap or a piece of string,
-pierce a hole in the balloon to fit the pushrod, secure this in a similar way, allowing the pushrod to move freely.

This should provide a tight seal even when the boat's completely submerged.

As I have no idea how the nitro fuel will act on the balloon, keep an close eye on them.

Regards, Jan.