Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fiberglass hulls

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Fiberglass hulls

Old 04-02-2005, 07:35 PM
electricstorm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass hulls

Hi,
I am going to get the 1/12 miss budwieser soon and am wondering how hard it is to install an auto bailer. My main question is how do you properly drill a hole in the fiber glass?any help is appricated. btw i'm new.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Macleod

Default RE: Fiberglass hulls

Before you drill the hole you should put a few layers of masking tape over the area where you will put the auto bailer.

Use a sharp drill the same size as the outside diameter of the autobailer, if not the next size smaller, as you can use a round file to slowly enlarge the hole till the autobailer is a snug fit.

Drill from the gelcoat (outside) first, support the hull and drill from moving during the drilling.

Carefully remove the masking tape. Then insall the autobailer. Make sure it is the right way around.

Also check to see if it seals when you put the hull in the water. Some of the balls have raised spots that allow water to pass between the ball and 'o' ring seal.

Hope this helps

Old 04-03-2005, 07:18 PM
electricstorm

Two more questions. First, what brands are there other than aeromarine for autobailers? Also, how long will the miss bud run on 1 tank of fuel?
Old 04-04-2005, 12:08 AM
Macleod

I only know of aeromarine for autobailers, check your local hobby store for different types of autobailers...[:-]

I use a different type of system for water removal...

As for the run time on one tank, you will have to ask some in here who has the same type of boat as you.
The run times can vary with the mixture setting, whether you idle alot or race the engine, size of tank if not stock, and how hungry the engine is in it...[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80893.gif
Views:	4
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	253817  
Old 04-05-2005, 08:05 AM
electricstorm

Ok, heres another question, if you get water in the engine, is it ruined? What do you have to do to get it running again?
Old 04-06-2005, 12:53 AM
Macleod

If water does get into the engine while it is running, the engine can be damaged. But most of the time the engine will stall before the water has a chance to enter the engine and cause trouble.

If you do get water in the engine dont try to restart it, it might not start but you will cause damage if you compress water in the cylinder, IE: break the conrod etc.

There are a number of ways to rid the engine of water, some use a water displacement spray, that you spray into the engine.
Another is to dismantle the engine and wash it completely out.

All depends on how much water gets into the engine and how far it goes into the engine.