Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

sanding fiberglass

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

sanding fiberglass

Old 04-20-2005, 10:15 PM
jserb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sanding fiberglass

hey guys! well i have finished fiberglassing my boat. and i am at the sanding stage. my question is what sand paper should i start out with?? and what should i finish with?? i have laid down cloth and 4 coats of resin over that. so now my question is what grit sand paper should i start sanding with and what is usually a good finishing grit. I have a dumas chris craft, and i need YOUR help!

P.S how do i know when sanding, when it is time to switch to the next finer grit??? I NEED TONES OF SANDING TIPS!

THANKS GUYS!
Old 04-22-2005, 12:06 AM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: sanding fiberglass

Start as rough as you you need to, to get rid of the speed bumps, and crack the any airbubbles.
Once you get it down to a fairly consistent level, go to the next 100, or 150 grit to clean up the really rough spots. At this point I might consider another coat of resin. Then starting out at 150 I would work my way to 220 or even 300 grit, then spray for primer to look for low spots, or any spots that may have missed.
Then I would probably work the hull with 220 or 300, prime again, then consider a wet sand with 300 before first paint.

If you sand with 220, and spray a light coat of prime, and see horrible rough sanding marks back up one grit, and work the rough spot and feather out the scratches to a nice even consisntency and back to 220 grit.