Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Boat club near Jordan Lake, NC?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Boat club near Jordan Lake, NC?

Old 04-22-2005, 12:45 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat club near Jordan Lake, NC?

I'm curious whether there's any interest in trying to form some kind of organized boating activities in the area. Jordan has a number of impounded (not sure if that's the right term) areas that are cutoff from the main lake, but convenient to roads. Since these are surrounded by Army Corps or Engineers controlled land, the odds of anyone building nearby houses are minimized. If a few people can organize, we should be able to get permission to use one of these areas.

My boating interest has always been small (3.5) to mid-sized (.45) nitro boats, I don't have the budget (I could swing it if I didn't already have money invested in so many other toys). I also haven't branched into electrics or gas. Again, it's a money thing. I've also never been into throwing hundreds (or thousands) of dollars into engine hop-ups or 50% nitro. However, in order to attract interest, one should keep an open mind...

So, my vision is a group of people interested in creating a place to run, and have some informal racing. The "club" would be open to glow, gas, or electric. The only requirements are a desire to have fun, and willingness to share this fun with others. Anyone in the area around Jordan (Pittsboro, Chapel Hill, Durham, Cary, Apex, Raleigh, Sanford, etc) who is interested, post a reply, send me a PM, or an email. If we can get a core of 4 to 6 people, we can build a plan to approach the state or corps for permission. Of course we also could just informally meet somewhere on the lake.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:56 PM
skoda450

Default RE: Boat club near Jordan Lake, NC?

Chuck,
Try contacting

Piedmont Triad Prop Twisters
Greensboro, North Carolina
President
Mike Hemrick
336-215-9162
[email protected]
They run in the triangle area
Old 04-28-2005, 06:30 PM
piper_chuck

Thanks. I had seen their info on the IMPBA site, but didn't know if the club was active or not. Greensboro is about a 1.5 hour drive from home so it's a bit far. However, since nobody near home has responded, it's worth talking to Mike. I just sent him an email.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:20 AM
skoda450

They have a race schedulled for the 15 - 17 of July at their pond north of the triangle. I intend to go if I can get a "kitchen pass" for the weekend. Contact Michel Hemric, [email protected] for race info.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:16 PM
piper_chuck

I contacted Mike after your first post. One point of clarification, their site is just North of the triad, rather than the triangle. The triangle is further east. Mike sent me a list of the races and pond location. They've actually got races listed for May 22, June 5, June 26, and the date you listed. I won't have a boat ready for May, and it's been too long since I raced anyway. I'm hoping I can get one of those "kitchen passes" and ride up for a visit at the May race. Perhaps I can have a boat ready sometime in June. Unfortunately, the pond is too far from home, so I'm not going to be able to make a habit of going there.