Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

What boat to float? Where do I start???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

What boat to float? Where do I start???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 09:49 PM
biker_ray_pa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What boat to float? Where do I start???

I'm definitely in the market for a boat, something beginner-level, but that I won't get bored with right away. I'd like to go electric, as my planes and monster truck are electrics, but I seem to be having a hard time finding anything really suitable. Here's what I'm looking at:

Tower Turbo Vee II RTR

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=TE3802**&P=K

This looks like a pretty decent boat, and it can use the same batteries that I use in the one monster truck. Is this a good entry- to intermediate-level boat, or too toylike?

Thanks for the help.

Ray out
Old 05-02-2005, 11:47 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: What boat to float? Where do I start???

Ray, I really can't see you with that boat. If I were you I'd look for one that is upgradable as you'd get bored with that one in no time. NAMBA does have a class for that boat at their races so there are some mods that could be done to it.
With your experience with other forms of R/C you shouldn't have any trouble setting up a better boat. A lot of the other equipment that you already have is easily transferable to something better. Look around in the electric boat section, you might get some ideas for other boats in there.
Check out magazines like R/C Boat Modeler. What you see in there barely scratches the suface of what's available.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:51 PM
biker_ray_pa

Thanks Ron.

Any personal boat recommendations? Basically, what's the standard "starter boat" that I can upgrade down the road, something to which I can add both performance and bling?

Ray
Old 05-03-2005, 12:05 AM
Ron Olson

www.offshoreelectrics.com is a good place to start at. He not only has the stock boats but recommends upgrades too for them.
Some other links to look at:
http://www.finedesignrc.com/hullsfine.asp
www.bbyracing.com
http://www.fastelectrics.com/nitro.asp
http://www.climateboatworks.bizland.com/
Old 05-10-2005, 08:22 PM
biker_ray_pa

Hi again

offshoreelectrics.com is an awesome site! And, I've narrowed my boat purchase down to 2 choices, the Traxxas Villian EX and the CEN Aqua Jet. I like the Traxxas name and have had good luck with their products, and the Villian EX seems more "waterproof" than the CEN. The CEN looks like a better handling boat and perhaps a bit faster, but perhaps not as waterproof or idiotproof. Both seem to have LOTS of hop-ups out there, and both seem like good boats....which direction should I be going??

Ray
Old 05-10-2005, 10:41 PM
Ron Olson

The only experience that I have that is close is the Aqua Jet and that was the nitro version. Yes, they do have a problem with the electronics being exposed. There are waterproofing sprays made to help protect the servos and reciever. I had to use it in my Grey Thunder after it flipped in its first run. The reciever failed so I let the boat sit in my basement for about 2 weeks. I gave it a shot of what I had handy, some Aeroplate from Aerotrend and it brought the RX back to life.