Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is this feasible??

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Is this feasible??

Old 05-03-2005, 08:42 PM
jw637362
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this feasible??

I am to the paint stage of my 1/8 hydro, Has any one ever pulled a fiberglass mold from there boat they built??
I was thinking that before I paint it, Why not wax it up and fiberglass it for a mold then make a fiberglass hull later on, Then after that is done, Continue with painting and finish her up.?

Jeff
Old 05-03-2005, 11:28 PM
LtDoc

Default RE: Is this feasible??

Jeff,
Is it possible to make a fibreglass mold fom your boat? Sure. Is it very easy? Hmm, that sort of depends on how much you know about making molds etc. If you're competent and want to do it, why not? If you aren't exactly competent (like me!) then you might give it a lot more thought, learn exactly how to do it, then have at it. [I'm just learning about fibreglassing so am NOT any kind of athourity about it. My advice isn't what I'd call competent, so take it for what little it's worth.}
- 'Doc
Old 05-04-2005, 05:34 AM
Macleod

If you need advise on mould making then drop me a post here or PM me.

Old 05-06-2005, 10:20 AM
jw637362

What would the procedure be?
I am thinking of starting with the bottom - Fiberglass it, when it is about dry, Trim the edges to the rim of the boat then do the same with the top.
After I have the molds made, fiberglass them - pull the parts build the wood pieces for internal structure - trim edges and mate together with fiberglass around the edge.
Do I need to create a wooden pattern for the top and bottom edges / seperate pieces and do the bolting thing. I have no experience in this area and I am in the process of doing this for the foam cowl plug I am making for this same boat.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87170.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	267706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77896.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	267707  
Old 05-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Macleod

Jeff,

Making a mould of a hydro is the hardest ones to do, but not impossible. I wont get into too much detail, but will give you steps to follow along the way. If anything becomes unclear then I will do the drawing thing.....

First step: finish the plug (Plug is the shape you wish to mould). sand and prime, sand again with smaller grit paper and prime, until all pinhole have been filled. There are different ways for getting the surface of the plug right. I generally remember that the more glossy the surface of the plug, the same will be for the mould. Save doing work on the moulds to get the shine. Get a shiny surface if you plan to not paint the hull and deck after they come out of the mould, if you want to paint then dont worry too much about the surface of the plug or moulds. You cant have shine if mould dull......enough of that.

Get some good mould release wax and cheesecloth or soft cotton fabric for wax on, wax off, daniel son

You need to follow the manufactures instructions, some say apply wax in small area then buff with clean rag, dont do it in the sun or on hot days. Leave about 15 min between coats to allow the previous coat to set hard. Apply around 8 to 10 coats of wax. It may seem alot but helps to minimize sticking.

Next: Put a flange around the entire outer edge of the plug to form a flange, for when the moulds are together the flanges help position the both halves.

You still have lots to do but that will get you going. Let me know when you want more !!!!!!!

Old 05-06-2005, 01:29 PM
jw637362

Macleod, Forgive the rough rendering, Are you saying that I need to make a pattern as in:
figure 1 ( outline of model in say, plywood) make two of these.
figure 2 - lay out fiberglass with plywood pattern attached
figure 3 - mold made

I understand about the plugs smoothness being a factor, Believe me, i have been utilizing joint compound and sanding for days on my foam plug for the canopy.

If So, What i do not under stand is the 'why' I would have two patterns bolted together as too have the fiberglass. Oh wait, Duhhh
I just figured that out. After the two halves are made, seperate the top from the bottom molds and make the fiberglass boat. what about mating the two final halves together??
I will be unable to get in side to fiberglass with formers - structures in place, Can I fiberglass around the outside and sand it smooth.
It seems like making the actual patterns of the boat exact will be the hardest part, I am thinking of making the pattern out of cut thin hard cardboard pieces so I can get the exact shape then scrollsaw the design out of thin plywood????
I think I am I on the right track

Name:	Mk25204.gif
Views:	6
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	267808  
Old 05-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Macleod

Yep you got it, the flange need to all around plus the inside areas as well. Just think of cutting the plug in half seperating both the hull and deck. The flange must be around all of the edges.

Use cardboard or ply and hot glue, make it strong enough for glassing.

I've included some drawings for you.
You may have to cut a hole in the deck mould for joining and make seperate moulding of hatch, I will cover that later.

The bulkheads can be done a few ways also.....

If you preper to PM me I can give you my home number you can call me to explain things better and faster for you, than this way which is annoying when you loose all you have just typed. But some people may want to absorb my knowledge in this mould making excercise ????So I will have to type away......[:'(]

There is so much to teach you.....[X(]

Name:	Xv65708.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	268030