Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

electric boat advice needed

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

electric boat advice needed

Old 05-08-2005, 09:30 PM
greggtek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric boat advice needed

I have been into glo fuel rc planes for many years, but have recently gotten into electric boats. I am currently putting together an old mrp miss budweiser kit. the mrp boat has very limited space for the radio gear. Two servos, receiver, and battery pack are not going to fit in the supplied radio box. It did not come with a manual speed control, so i thought i would invest in an electronic speed control. The kit came with a couple of old "green machine " motors.
Is there a speed control in existance that can handle two 6 cell packs in paralell, and use very little space?
or
Could the packs be wired in series? (would this make the boat faster??)

I could Use any advice on a suggested setup for this dual motor, dual battery pack boat.
Thanks!

Old 05-08-2005, 09:43 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: electric boat advice needed

Not very knowledgable on electrics , but what I do know is that its not so important ( within reason , of course ) how much voltage you apply , but rather how many R's the engine can turn with as little voltage ( not amperage ) as possible . ( now , is when the more volatge comes in . Pending on how much the ESC can handle AND , how much the motor can also )
And before buying an ESC , make sure you want to run brushed motors rather than non-brushed ones .
Old 05-09-2005, 07:36 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: electric boat advice needed

ORIGINAL: greggtek

I have been into glo fuel rc planes for many years, but have recently gotten into electric boats. I am currently putting together an old mrp miss budweiser kit. the mrp boat has very limited space for the radio gear. Two servos, receiver, and battery pack are not going to fit in the supplied radio box. It did not come with a manual speed control, so i thought i would invest in an electronic speed control. The kit came with a couple of old "green machine " motors.
Is there a speed control in existance that can handle two 6 cell packs in paralell, and use very little space?
Two packs in parallel determine how much power is available, but not how much is drawn. That will be dependent on the motor and prop selection. In answer to your question, there's a huge range of ESCs available. You should be able to find one that will handle the load you are looking at. Also, the battery packs don't need to go in the radio box. If they are outside they will stay cooler, and will be easier to swap if you run two sets. See if there's a place you can put them that will balance the boat correctly.
or
Could the packs be wired in series? (would this make the boat faster??)
Yes they could be, but... The motors and ESC would have to be designed for the higher voltage. Additionally, you would be significantly reducing your run time. So, unless you're planning to change the motors, stick with the parallel setup.

If you've already got the motors and battery packs, the most economical way to go would be to get an inexpensive ESC that can handle the number of cells and load from your setup. If you decide you want to get into fast electrics, start looking at the newer hull choices, brushless motors and ESCs, etc. I'm just at the researching phase now, so I can't make specific recommendations. Here's some of the places I've been researching:
http://www.rumrunnerhobbies.com/
http://www.microhydros.com/
http://www.finedesignrc.com/
http://offshoreelectrics.com/