Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for first boat, advise needed.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Looking for first boat, advise needed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 09:54 AM
NMT_Oli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for first boat, advise needed.

Ive always wanted an RC boat, but never got around to getting one. Im experinced with electric and nitro cars, so i know about radio gear, engines, ESCs ect.
I would be using the boat on lakes, and in the sea (don't worry, the sea around me isnt too rough).

I like the look of a v style hull, around 30" in size as its manageable to take places and big enough to have fun with- it also seems to be a common size from what i have read. i think id probably like to start out with electric, and if the boat itself is cheap enough, maybe a basic brushless motor for it.

If there are any decent boats for smaller than 30" that would be cool, as i would like to take it on holiday.

any suggestions?
Old 06-15-2005, 12:40 PM
NMT_Oli

Default RE: Looking for first boat, advise needed.

Ok, ive had a look and the Traxxas Blast and the Aquacraft Hammer EP Have taken my eye, both relatively cheap, about 25" which is nice, i think somehtign like the villain would be too big. Light and simple. as it only has one motor, will be easy to upgrade to brushless in the future.

I think the traxxas looks a little better, what are your guys experiences/opinions?
Old 06-15-2005, 02:19 PM
pompebled

Hi Oli,

These ABS hulls are good starter boats, but you'll have to get one where you can tape the hatch watertight if you want to run it in salt water, as the radioboxes in some boats are not as they should be "waterproof'.

As you already have all the radiogear, you might consider getting a boat from Hopf www.hopf-modelltechnik.de these hulls are made from epoxy-glassfibre, very tough and durable and are sold seperately, or as a set, which you'll have to assemble yourself.

You mentioned not too slow; well these hulls are among the fastest around!
And self-righting in case it should flip, when provided with a floodchamber.

With a brushless motor, these boats are só fast, they'll leave you shaking with adrenaline, when running them....

Other sources for quality hulls are:

Hydro & Marine www.hydromarine.de
MHZ www.mhz-engines.com
Kehrer www.kehrer-modellbau.de

Regards, Jan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32033.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	285451  
Old 06-15-2005, 03:35 PM
NMT_Oli

Those sites look to have some very cool boats on them, however im not very good at german and although i have radio gear, i don't have electrics (even though i am planning to upgrade in the future), and those look as though they could get expensive.

Its mainly the batteries i am worried about, the boats i have looked at so far run fine on 6 cells, and get a boost with 7/8 cells. I have loads of 6 cell packs, and 8 cell packs arent too expensive.

Those high performance german boats need 10+ cells, i don;t have a charger that will do more than 8 (and that was an expensive charger, i dont want to have to get another). so all i wold be able to do is series 2 6 cell packs together, for 12 cell use but that just diminishes run times (although giving good performance).

Are there any brushless systems that run nice on 6 cells, giving the performance of a stock system with long runtimes, but can take 12 cells and be blistering if i want to have a quick blast?

Those Jet units look interesting, but the brushless systems for them are expensive and need a lot of cells. I would much prefer a lehner basic brushless, cheap and doesnt need as many cells.

could i run this kind of thing in a hammer ep/ traxxas blast- or do i need to look at more expensive hulls? I am in the uk so any UK suppliers/shops would be useful, overseas postage can be a pain.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2005, 05:04 PM
sportbabe625

i have no idea i only no bout rc cars trucks and buggys