Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

fiberglass

Old 06-18-2005, 12:11 AM
jserb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fiberglass

k well i need some opinions...i have been sanding my wood chris craft. i fiberglasseed it and i started with 100 Grit and now im at 220 and boy is it smmoooooooooottttttthhhhhh! and when i run my fingers down her you cant feel one bump. i mean its super slick....BUT i notice when i trun it at different angles the glare on the boat revieals that their are some imprents still in the layers of resin..you know little divits BUT YOU CAN FEEL EM AT ALL!!!!! soo now i dont know....i mean i REALLY hope i dont have to run another coat of resin over the sides and then sand it down again..prob is i cant go too much further cuz i may hit the cloth..i was thinkings maybe the next sanding level would just take those blemishes out........buttt then agian thats why i am here asking you people...soo i just need some pro help as too what i do next cuz i KNOW SOMEONE has had this problem and has been at this stage.....and i need to know whats the right thing to do.....is it put finishing resin over it or g to the next level of sanding...reasion i ask is cuz i dont wanna take alllll the time to sand the sides down then find out i have to re coat them again....so please help!!
Old 06-18-2005, 12:25 AM
LtDoc

Default RE: fiberglass

jserb,
Just a quick answer with a 'condition'. If you can't feel the blemish, and if you plan to paint the hull, don't worry about it. You won't be able to see/feel the blemishes anyway. (That from a certified fibreglass NON-expert!)
The other side of that 'coin' is that is you don't plan to paint the hull, then you will see the blemishes. The sandpaper companies ~love~ modelers who fibreglass!
- 'Doc
Old 06-18-2005, 12:35 AM
jserb

Default RE: fiberglass

no i will only pain t the bottem not the sides of the hull. sooo i guess do u think the next sanding of 320 will take those out...??? i mean i cant feel em at all!!!!! its so smoth and everytihng but i just noticed those little blemishes in the shop room and thought ..."hey i bet in the sun out on the water those will show up......." soo now i guess i need some opinions.. cuz like i said i cant go too much lower into the resin cuz i might hit the cloth, but then again i dont know "just how much i can go" thanks!