Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

battery pack charging ?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

battery pack charging ?

Old 06-24-2005, 07:58 AM
ALLISONMO2
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery pack charging ?

i have a hobbico 900 ac/dc 15 min charger and am charging 3300mah nimh packs. now i just charged them once for 1/2 hr each. first things first. i got the packs when i got my boat day before yesterday. i did not notice until just now while writing this that they are not ni-cd theya re ni-mh. will i have damaged them by charging with a ni-cd charger?
Old 06-24-2005, 08:20 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: battery pack charging ?

Most likely they are ok, but I'm far from a battery expert. A half hour on that charger probably didn't even give them a full charge. The problem with this charger is it's timer based rather than detecting when the battery is peaked. You'd be better off buying a peak charger.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:30 AM
ALLISONMO2
My Feedback: (35)

i may have to do that because i was looking at the time charts on tower and they say 28-33 minutes for a 2000mah pack

i may have needed an hour!
Old 06-24-2005, 09:04 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Yes, a long time. When I raced electric cars I used a timer charger, but I always had a volt meter hooked to it so I could watch for the peak. The chargers now will take care of this for you.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:05 PM
cadeucsb

just get a cheap volt meter, run the full 15min...meter the battery, see how charged it is.... put it again for 15min, meter the batt again. With a couple tests u should know how long it takes to charge the batt more or less. Of course a peak charger will be right on every time... but a meter gets u close