Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for a newbie-

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Suggestions for a newbie-

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Fishing w/RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for a newbie-

Im looking for a boat, preferably electric, that would be capable of handling the calm surf of the gulf. I wouldn't expect it to jump waves or anything like that. From what ive learned so far about rc's, I would need an air tight radio compartment and should always rinse well before opening the boat after saltwater use- a good range and decent run time would be important as well for selecting a boat for the gulf- right? Can someone help this newbie decide on what boats would be best for salwater use. I would prefer a larger boat, 30'' + and it be nice to have a reliable, simple machine. Thanks
Old 06-28-2005, 07:30 PM
biteme
Banned

Default RE: Suggestions for a newbie-

I have seen, mostly in the UK, 'chum boats' or 'bait boats'. sounds like what you want. not too fast, but carries like, 5 lbs of chum bait in 2 different chambers. They seem pretty expensive, but the design may give somebody an idea. http://www.baitboats.com/ there have been several requests online. I have been tempted to try one, I may still ( I can be pretty creative ) but it wouldn't look nearly so nice. (not quite anyway) The principles should be simple, just a matter of doing it. I would use a trimaran hull though, using the space inbetween the hulls for storage of the bait. ( easier to drop, rather than roll a bin over the side). Heck, if nobody else responds, I'll see how much I can make one for. Let me know if you are interested. Sean
Old 06-29-2005, 02:05 PM
Fishing w/RC

Thanks for the help- I would be interested in something specific for tugging shark bait out. Specifically tugging a 1 2 pound rigged fish and an egg sinker between 8 and 10 oz. There would have to be some sort of release mechanism if the bait and sinker rode on top of the boat until it reached the destination unless of course the bait was just drug out. The link you provided is really cool- haven't looked very close at the boats yet though. I was looking for something in a hurry because the beach trip starts on the ninth of July and I would love to have something then. Nonetheless, if you had some ideas about a boat, I would be interested in buying one at some point. Thanks for your time-
Old 06-29-2005, 04:42 PM
biteme
Banned

Ideas is what I got the most of. If you are looking for something quick, but a simple boat (maybe 30 inches)and attach a tow line that is much lower test than your standard line. tie the baited line to the tow line, and take her out. when the bait is hit, the lower test line should snap, leaving you to reel her in. If you don't want to use the boat as a bobber, give the rod a snap, like a check cast, to snap the tow line. Just talked about this with someone else, this forum, under 'fishing with R/C'. If you do decide you want something more formal, let me know...I love the creative/engineering challenge. Sean
Old 06-29-2005, 10:59 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you checked out the "Surfer" boats from Kyosho? They look like surfboards and you can get them with either male or female surfers. The board contains all of the electronics.