Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
 Prop sharpening & other tips for new boaters >

Prop sharpening & other tips for new boaters

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Prop sharpening & other tips for new boaters

Old 09-29-2009, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Prop sharpening & other tips for new boaters

ivve made a list of people who do that but it will not help you as the list is for australia, but any aussies out there need a list of people who sharpen and balance and or polish let me know
Old 09-29-2009, 10:20 PM

yes learn to do it yourself its not hard to s/b/p ..if you want more like cut backs and things thats different..i looked at whh site and tony has a vidio on the BASICS worth a look....bob
Old 09-29-2009, 11:40 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: supervee29

So... Who can you send them to to polish and sharpen them??? And balance?? any suggestions
This is why Chuck and I got this thread going in the first place, to help those who would like to try doing their own props themselves. It's not that hard, really. It's just doing the first one can be a little scary but I compare it to drilling that first hole into a new hull.
Most people that do prop work use props that they have in stock. I really don't know of anyone that accepts props to be done. The going price the last that I knew was $10.00 a blade on up depending on size. Some will charge even more per blade if it has more than 2 blades as the more on there, the harder it is to work on and balance.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:21 AM

ron...what you say is correct...i purchased 2 that had nicks and dings for a couple bucks and just had a go...as i said s/p/b is not hard just a little confidence needed..and that will come with time..you also see raw props for sale cheap i use them to for practice....bob
Old 01-21-2010, 10:14 PM

great thread an I hope to meet ron some time after the water softens around here, I have owned a prather 31" deep v with a k&b 3.5 for 20yrs and a christmas gift (to myself) of an unknown tunnel hull with the same engine but have never been to a pond or lake that had another boat on it at the same time. I only live about 75 miles from Kalamazoo. Gary in New Carlisle In.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:05 AM

I've heard of your city but have no idea where it is. I spent 3 days in Hobart back in September for the Indy Master's race. You really ought to go there this coming year, you won't regret it!
Old 04-28-2010, 02:34 PM

nice thread
Old 08-24-2010, 12:23 AM

Whats the best grit sand paper to scuff up the hull?
Old 08-31-2010, 01:10 AM

hey guys...hope all is well with ev1..got some ? i hope can be answered or be helped on.on my gf's nitro hammer she bought a brass prop.its bigger then what was on there...will that hurt the 15 marine engine thats on the hammer? do they make a longer shaft i can buy for that boat? also some people on those forum said it would be good for me to go with a sullivan 6 ounce slant type tank instead of that crappy flip top thats junk that comes with it....how do i mount the tank on the hammer?...and how do u fill those tanks?...any help would be sooo much appreciated..thx a million!
Old 08-31-2010, 01:32 AM

Wow, lots of questions there!
The .15 really can't turn a lot of prop and with the 1/8" shaft, the selection that's out there is about the biggest that the boat can handle anyway for that engine. The Octura X-435 is about all it will take anyway and will fit in there with the stock shaft.
Trying to overload the engine with anything bigger may result in more problems as the crankshaft is really weak and known to break where the intake port is.
A Sullivan SS-6 is on the big side, an SS-4 might be a better fit yet still give you a decent run time.
Filing is done through the line otothe carb, remove it to fill preferably with a pump, electric or hand-crank. The plane guys used to use a fuel bulb but I don't see those around much any more. Think turkey baster but with a rubber bulb.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:01 AM

is the Octura X-435 a brass or metal prop?...how would i mount the 4 ounce tank since u said thats a better fit probably?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:46 AM

It's better answered in the Nitro Hammer thread as we don't want to get this one off-topic. Do a search for it.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:19 AM

Guys I have one fsr boat with one of Daves zen 7 motor in it,the motor revs to high.I got a prop from hin as well but looking for a good prop for this boat (submersable prop) can anyone help?
Old 11-10-2010, 09:53 PM

Wow, this was a great informative thread, I think I spent 2 days going through all the stuff. I've only tried to do one prop so far, and it came out less than good (shiny and balanced, but maybe ruined the face side of it) Now that will be a test prop.

One thing I did, which was not mentioned here was when I was trying to balance the prop, the prop was sitting horizontally on the balancer, always falling to one side. I tried taking material from the lower trailing edge, and the lower leading edge to balance, but found that just taking material from the hub was enough to bring it into balance.

I use the top flite balanced, and when I am positioning the prop on there, I try to let one side not actually touch the magnet, just get it close enough to let the magnetic force hold up the rod and prop, I position the prop closer to the side that is touching the magnet. It seems to spin more freely that way, and be more accurate.

I also have a question about just how important the face of the prop is. In planes, the top of the wing is the more important part of the airfoil. I wonder if the science behind airfoils can apply to props as well? I wonder if there isn't some sort of "lift" involved that would help propel the prop forward by creating low pressure in front of the blade?
Old 11-20-2010, 01:18 AM

Hi Ron

Have you ever been to the 2010 Hungary Naviga FSR World Chimptionship or any orther race ?
Old 11-20-2010, 01:27 AM

I'm lucky to get out of Michigan and have never been abroad. I was in Canada overnight once, that's it.
I have been to 2 big boat races, the IMPBA Internat's back in 2003 and raced at the Indy Masters race this past September but other than those, just district events. I couldn't even get my wife to go to Las Vegas for our 25th wedding anniversary this year!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:00 PM

Wow.sounds nice.
but what a pitty is that you can not spend the 25th wedding party with your wife in Las Vegas.I think she must be understand you.
I am a new RC boat medel lady.and one of my friends he have even been to the Gemany Naviga MONO/ECO race and his teammates been to the Hugary Naviga FSR .so I had heard some interesting stories of it .
but this is my first time to heard of Indy Masters race .hopefully you can share some interestings with us.
thank you
Old 11-23-2010, 12:10 AM

I could but don't really want to take this thread off track.
I't's good to see another lady in here with an active interest in model boats as most let their husbands visit the forum sites. My wife got into boats briefly and got pretty good at hearing if the engine was rich or lean and would tell me if the boat needed a prop change.
We have several other ladies in here that are quite good, I won't mention their names as the men might find out that a woman helped them out! A couple of them are actually what I'd consider good friends.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:27 PM

I am only the 2nd famel to play RC Boat here ,and also I am the new ,but she has over 10 years experience . with a pitty that she is live in Beijing ,and I am in Guangzhou ,so I don't have a chance to discuss with eachorther.
 luckly there is a race will be holding near my house ,so I will be visit there and to learn from my friend. 
Old 12-26-2010, 02:01 PM

Where can I find 5 blade props?
Old 12-26-2010, 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: C1Driver

Depends on what you're putting them on. 5-blade props for scale ships are easier to find than say, a gas race boat which are usually custom-made.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:45 PM

From

http://www.prop-shop.co.uk/

Only place I could think of right away. Try searching on google?

Also

http://www.raboesch.com/
Old 01-08-2011, 07:13 AM

ORIGINAL: C1Driver

You can get them here as well but the 5 blades start at 80mm. I have cut them down to 65mm but it's a lot of work.

http://www.randrpropshop.com/rc_model.htm
Old 05-29-2012, 08:21 AM

My question is about polishing. I here to polish the whole prop,then just the back side,then a satin finish is better. What is the best final finish? Thanks
Old 05-29-2012, 10:32 AM

Do them up any way that you'd like. A shiny finish is fine for your average boater. A rougher finish like a satin, matte or still a little rough from filing or sanding will help to create tiny air bubbles around the prop freeing it up a little more. Those that run SAW or the people trying to eke an extra MPH out of their boat will do this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.