Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Retreival boat for float planes?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Retreival boat for float planes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 04:26 AM
cuban8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retreival boat for float planes?

I would like to build an RC boat to retreive downed (not drowned hehehe) float planes. I have two electric motors and not a clue on what to use for a hull or running gear. Any ideas?

Regards,

Cuban8
Old 01-21-2002, 04:21 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

i've seen these. two good ways of doing it..
1: make a airboat with engine, tie line to it and bank, it gos out, round plane, and back to shore, you pull the line in to get the plane, if the boat engine cut, use the line to pull it back.
2: make a catch boat. two pontoons, joined with PCV tubes, the boat is diven to the plane and is caught.

The second was ment for boats that fit within it, so might not be best for planes that could have flipped over.

I will find pics of best when i find the web sites... i think the second was www.rcstore.com

fspb07941
The Electric Go-For
Designed by John Rist, this electric retrieval boat has two hulls that are connected by PVC pipe. Made of foam and covered with fiberglass, the hulls are easy to make and the PVC pipe is easy to cut and glue. The catch basket shown in the plans is handyfor retrieving smaller models; large models don't need it. Length: 36" (13" between hulls); weight: 26.5". LD1
$14.95

I remember now the airplane one was in a mag, so i cant get pic too easy, but i would use both motors for power on 2 shafts, if they are 540 type, use 2 32mm standard props and build sommit like a brick with one sloaped front, with rubber edges so you can push, and also put a eyelet for a line for the go out and back method. if you have two speedos use one for each motor so you can control each independant for better manoverabitly
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1359_743.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	1612  
Old 01-21-2002, 04:48 PM
Cactus.

this is something like the airboat used, only without the skis.
If you really want me too, i could draw that twin motor thing i was talking about, just ask if you want it, unless you get sommit better.
Some people like to have a propper boat, but that can also retreive.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1360_743.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1613  
Old 01-21-2002, 05:05 PM
cuban8

Default Outstanding!

phillybaby, that twin hull rig is exactly what I was looking for. You're a gentleman and a scholar from your toes to your collar

Thank you very much! The two motors I have are both made in China, and have the number "RS-550PF" on a label stuck to the sleeve that surrounds them. They have a 1/8 inch diameter shaft with 3/8 inch of fluting (ridges parallel to the shaft) on the end.

I particularly like your suggestion to put one in each hull for maneuverability reasons.

Thanks again,

Cuban8
Old 01-21-2002, 06:09 PM
Cactus.

these are perfect, you can use upto 35mm props then i guess a motor in each pod is best if thats what you want, and i think you dont need a plan to tell you how to build a box lol you can put a motor in each pod, batts in one, 6V sealed lead acid like flight box batt would be best for duration, and the radio gear in the other side.
All you need is a two stick 27 MHz set ( both sticks vertical like throttle is best) ( if not than a spare 35MHz), then each speedo in the ch1 and ch2 for 27MHz or ch2 and CH3 for 35 MHz, VERY manoverable. and no need for rudders.

http://www.mtroniks.net/special.htm
these guys have fully water proof and CHEEP! speedos, uuum 12v ones on that page, bit too much for those motors tho.... stick with 6V LSA batts.
That marine ECO is perfect for the job....

and i dont need to tell you, you can run wires thought those pipes do i?
let me know what you do, i'd like to see the outcome, and i can offer any advice on running gear and building

Just had another though, have the props in the centre of the pods, not at the rear like most boats, it will rotate on its center, and do it much better than if it had to swing all that front, also MUCH!!!!! better once its got the plane, the weight wont effect its turns as much
Old 06-11-2002, 07:39 PM
marc sommer

Default OS 77 VRM

I have a Percasa torpedo boat.Up to now it has been running an Irvine 61 abc marine with tuned pipe(rossi).Let me qualify, the boat has integeral outriggers copied and transposed from an existing commercially available cat hull. The superstructure is stand off scale and the deck fittings can stand the RPM of surface drive applications. Surface driving the Irvine 61 gave me respectable speed but it has now been fitted with an OS 77 VRM which.I bought about 8 years ago.It has never been run.I don't know where to start -rather ,does anybody know approximate pipe settings/props for this particular engine?I know people use 40% nitro in these things but ,I will be using 10% tops(prosynth 2000). I know that this is potentially an out and out racing engine of yesteryear but ,I would like to arrive at a slightly more flexible set up .By that ,I mean it will still do the business in the speed stakes but a touch of userfriendlyness is preferred over out and speed-only a touch,though.Any guidance on this particular engine would be much appreciated.Kindest regards Marc Sommer.
Old 06-11-2002, 07:59 PM
Cactus.

Marc, i think you posted slightly wrong here that engine isnt gonna help a retreival boat lol
BTW i talked to the chair woman, you can fly at our club if you have insurance, i'd still contact her first tho. and if you come down often you could even join, its very cheap.
She did tell me some guy askd if he could fly here while on hoilday recently, then had the cheek to send a letter to us complaining about the flying and safety. lol
Old 06-11-2002, 08:15 PM
marc sommer

Phillybaby, thanks you're right.Bloody homemade beer i guess.Does that mean I've got to do it all over again or can i transpose it?
Old 06-12-2002, 08:32 AM
Cactus.

you might be able to click edit, then move or sommit, but i'd copy it, make NEW THREAD and post it, then come back here and edit, delete post