Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Jet powered Hydro?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Jet powered Hydro?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 08:17 AM
jdoug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet powered Hydro?

I have seen and heard of people wanting to build Jet powered hydros. Usually, these people are new boaters and the thought of a jet boat just seems cool. Obviously, here on RCU we have a wealth of knowledge from veteran boaters that are all going to say a prop is faster...I agree.

The only hydro I own is a small scratch built cat. ...and when I think about a jet powered hydro, I just don't ever see it working. A jet gets it's input water from laying on the surface of the water...a properly running hydro should break free from laying on the water and "fly" most of it's hull out of the water and this would cause the jet to lose drive because of no water going in. If the jet did always get water going in this would tell me the hydro never actually got on step and was basically draggin the hull around displacing water and not skimming on top like they should.

Does this seem logical to anyone else?
Old 02-24-2006, 08:19 AM
CadillacDTS2001

Default RE: Jet powered Hydro?

yess perfict but you could have 2 jets in the bottom of each sponso of a cat boat it might work but for the rest nope it would be pretty hard
Old 02-24-2006, 08:23 AM
jdoug

Yeah, you're right...you could do twin jets out the sponsons of a cat.

...still, there's nothing like a big prop thrown roost.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

I thought you guys were headed toward Jet powered, as in powered by a turbine engine....

[link=http://www.wren-turbines.com/pictures_planes.htm]Wren Turbines shows two boats powered by their turbines...[/link]
Old 02-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

That's what I was thinking as well. I know MHZ now has a turbine/gearbox for driving a boat using a prop and driveline as well.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:34 PM
CadillacDTS2001

ORIGINAL: jdoug
a properly running hydro should break free from laying on the water and "fly" most of it's hull out of the water and this would cause the jet to lose drive because of no water going in.
i thought he was talking about turbins first to but then i read that lol^^^^^^^^^
Old 03-12-2008, 01:32 PM
TM928

Hey I don't know if I'm in the right place to shoot off my question But I will anyway since my question is about a jet powered boat of some type. I am think of in the near future of building a shipyard models 1/8 scale model of an Arleigh Burke class destroyer. The real destroyers are powered by GE LM-2500 Gas Turbines which can propelle them to a top speed of 30 knots plus. So I was thinking that If I built a radio controlled model of one these fine warships that I would be cool if the model was turbine powered also. So my question is what would be best a Turboprop driving two props since the ships are twin propped or just a single turbine? How would you guys go about doing such a thing? I haven't got a model of the destroyer yet but I want to do some future planning before I just dive right into it and pay for it later on if you know what I mean? So any help would be greatly appreciated thanks. The reason I'm interested in building such a model is that I'm going into the Canadian Navy soon and our destroyers are powered by the same engines as well as our frigates but admire the U.S Warships as well and I think that it would be a unique model. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

If you are willing to pay out for the turbine, then the way to run it would
probably be one jet turbine. Output that to one output turbine and gear
box, then run that output shaft to an additional gear box to drive both shafts.
The gearbox to the shafts could clutch and shift for reverse.

Or you could get a sound chip that supplys that "cool" turbine sound.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:58 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The GWS EDF's make a great turbine sound for a couple of $$. Wire 1 across the real propellor motor . Safe, light, reliable and no flack jackets need to be worn.
You would have fun insulating the engine heat and still cooling the engine.
We will not even discuss a splash of cold water into a running hot turbine.

My pencil and eye can design anything. Sounds good.

rich
Old 03-13-2008, 10:35 PM
20prcnt

i use to work at a full size race boat house called dessert yatch sales in yuma az. and i have seen pickle forks called "eleminator" and oothers like it with jets!!! it had a spot on it that touched water in the rear center but still had a tunnel for lift! I am a new boater and i am PRESENTLY building a tunnel/hydro/pickle fork boat with a .15 and a graupner pump for a 900 eletric motor HOPE IT JUST WORKS! if not i have a hull i biult,,,, and will prop it! and if it does work then its time to fit a rig on to a 3rd channel and then i will have a 10 , 12 ft jeta-vader to spray around with!!!!!!!!!!![sm=punching.gif]
Old 03-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Hmm, you guys have been beaten to the punch. Remmy from Aeromarine Laminates has already made one of his .90 size cats into a turbine powered ship! She is a thing of beauty, just saw it a few days ago in person. Absolutely insane performance. Aeromarine is just a few blocks from my home in DE. His plans are to add this to his fleet of for sale boats! No idea on the pricing, and this thing is only in testing phases. Had it on the water only a couple times.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:32 AM
Quicksilver

my god are we talking about jet pumps or jet turbines, I think a jet pump on a hydro is rather dumb, The point of a hydro is to be out of the water and to go really fast, neither can be done with a jet pump. Than again really fast doesnt equate to jet turbines either, how about worst of both worlds, a jet pump on a jet turbine on a hydro. record for biggest waste of money
Old 03-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Dreamin Hemi

We're talking about a turbine engine, just like what you would find in a r/c jet aircraft.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Quicksilver

I think the OP was talking about pumps though.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Joulesbee

You guy's SERIOUSLY want a marine gas turbine...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87115.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	913386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39982.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	913387