Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bait boat homemade

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Bait boat homemade

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 11:50 AM
..::ROB::..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bait boat homemade

Okay, so what I am planning to do is to buy a cheap RC boat and modify it so there is a container of some sort that holds maggots (etc) and a system that will drop the maggots over bored. can any one think of a way of doing this? and does anyone know where i can get a cheap Rc boat (UK)?
Old 04-23-2006, 12:43 PM
LtDoc

Default RE: Bait boat homemade

...potato-cannons are more fun!
- 'Doc
Old 04-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It must be a UK thing as we did have another member from across the Big Pond that was asking about somewhat the same thing last year. He didn't mention using maggots though, yuck!
Old 04-23-2006, 05:17 PM
expat flyer

Rob

There probably is no ready made model available, but dredgers often have trap doors in the bottom of the hold to drop the mud out. It should not affect the watertightness of the rest of the ship. You could make a fairly simple sort of coaster model that would do the trick, and no one watching would know.

If you are not shy or want to watch the delivery perhaps a simple tilt mechanism like a tipper truck would heave them over the side.

Remember even maggots have parents though.

Jerry
Old 04-23-2006, 08:53 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

There are actually two or three ready made models, but they are very spendy.
$700-1200 dollars

http://www.baitboats.com/
http://www.brentwoodangling.co.uk/an...s/microcat.htm

A cam or push rod close to the hinge on a dump bed would be easy to rig on a third channel. I can imagine some simple short throw long levers that could also be employed as lift mechanisms for dumping.

[link=http://www.nicholsboats.com/achd.htm]NICHOLS BROTHERS ship builders has a "Dump Barge" [/link] on their ways right now.
A few modifications, a high torque servo, and it would make a really cool bait boat.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:19 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi rob try building this one it looks easy to build you could use foam insulation board from b and q and eaither epoxy coat it or use varnish.[img][/img]you could put any bait you choose in it just build it the size you want.let us know if you build it and lets see some pics.it wont cost much either the foam board was £12 for a bundle when i got some for my airboat build.all you need then is a motor esc two servos and a battery and your radio and your off.why spend 400 quid on a ready made one?.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64829.jpg
Views:	3885
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	470343  
Old 06-02-2006, 07:30 AM
martno1fan

you could buy one of those cheap ebay boats with the dual motors that use them to turn the boat ,no rudder my son has one it cost £20 and if you gut it and build that bait boat you can use the motors and everything to power the bait boat.just an idea.two 380 motors should be plenty of power too so i reckon it would work great.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:35 AM
LtDoc

..::ROB::..
Well, I guess the potatoe-cannon idea didn't go over too well.
If you want to take the end of a fishing line further than you can cast it, it's not that difficult, in fact, pretty simple. Taking bait out to 'seed' a fishing hole is a little more complicated but not much.
The whole idea is to keep the hook/line/etc, on the boat until you are ready for it to hit the water. That means a simple plastic tube large enough to hold that hook/line/etc. thingy. Drop the end of the fishing line into the tube, start the boat toward where you want it to go, paying out line from the reel as you go. When the boat gets to where you want it, quit paying out the line. The boat just drives out from under the hook/line, it falls in the water. The amount of 'tilt' of the tube, or it's length can make a difference of how much and how far, it'll go. No tubes? Try a pan or tray with angled sides. The only 'catch' is that the hook/line/sinker should not catch on anything.
If your bait isn't on the end of a fishing line then you'd need to have some other way of getting it out of, or off of the boat. The other suggestions should work for that. Or a boat mounted potatoe-cannon!
- 'Doc
Old 06-02-2006, 12:44 PM
martno1fan

the idea of the bait boat i showed is to be able to bait up a whole area with bait as you fish. you can just fill her up with ground bait prior to fishing and then take out your bait and as you fish keep putting loose feed over your baited hooks as and when needed.another good idea is to put a marker float in the bait dropper on a spare rod so when you drop the bait in the float marks the spot.then you can keep taking bait out including your hook bait and get it in the right spot every time.it works too !!