Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Another R/C boater drowns!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Another R/C boater drowns!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 11:24 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Another R/C boater drowns!

This is already posted on 2 other R/C boating forums sites and now this one:

A man drowned in Hialeah, trying to save a remote control boatBy ANDREA TORRES
[email protected]
A 31-year-old man drowned Monday evening as he attempted to rescue a motorized, remote control boat in a lake at Hialeah's Amelia Earhart Park, 401 East 65th St.

The man was using a raft to paddle into the middle of the lake to get the disabled boat, but the other boats didn't stop the race. One accidentally rammed the raft, puncturing it and causing it to deflate, said Jesse Casales, a spokesman for Miami-Dade Fire Rescue.

The man did not know how to swim, Casales said.

A few friends jumped in to rescue him, to no avail, as his fiancée and the man's baby daughter looked on.

Divers recovered the man's body Monday night. His identity has not been released.

The story is not completely correct at this was at a site used for boat racing but not authorized to use the site and there was no offical race going on at the time. This is why you don't go after dead boats while others are runnning, especially in an inflatable boat! The person should have had a life jacket on as he didn't know how to swim. This makes me more aware of having a life preserver along with my inflatable as we didn't have one Saturday. I did stress that no boats would be running while the retrieve boat was out though and this is a good reason why I had people that where getting ready to launch shut their boats down.
This is the third R/C boating death already this year and it's not even Summer yet! Be careful out there people, I don't want to see your name on the list!
Old 05-30-2006, 11:34 PM
vsop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another R/C boater drowns!

Has a thread in the gas section about it already.. A tragic accident to say the least
Old 05-31-2006, 12:14 AM
Ron Olson

Good. I haven't had time to get there yet. I came home to 14 e-mails and more since I started to get through them. I'll have to check it out. Slow day!
Old 05-31-2006, 08:45 PM
darkapollo

Tragic yes, but he shouldnt have been out with out a life vest, and he shouldnt have gone out when the race was still on.
boat < your life.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:05 PM
vsop

Papers had it wrong... The club was not holding any sanctioned race that day
Old 06-01-2006, 06:17 PM
Ron Olson

Typical newspaper reporting as I see the same stuff up here. If you know the real stories, then you know how badly the media messes things up.
Some club members were there the day before as it is a NAMBA sanctioned race site but these people were not club members otherwise they would have has access to the club's boat.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Jesus C

Very tragic. I dont know why somebody would go out & retrive a boat while others are running & someone who dosent know how to swim. He should have waited or told people he was going to go get the boat.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Ron Olson

No telling what was going on at the time right now as I'm trying to get more info. One possibility could have been that the boat was sinking and he went out while the others were still running. I can't say anything for sure until more is learned.