Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

new to boats

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 08:41 PM
nitro man!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to boats

I want to do something other than nitro cars. So i want to do some kind of boat. I was wondering if this is a good boat?[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LG3111**&P=1]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LG3111**&P=1[/link] The place where i would use it has pretty chopy water. Would this boat be good in chopy water. What other good boats are there under $350.00 I dont care weather it's a air boat or not.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:23 PM
NJ NETS FAN
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: new to boats

Look into pro boats at horizonhobby.com they have the thundercat 31 and Shockwave 36 for $350.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:57 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

If you could be a little more specific on "choppy" ...
I mean , if your talking like say the bay , or something like that .. then I would go with a deep vee styled hull . An airboat , although TONS of fun , are not really meant for much chop , since the prop would literally throw the water that comes over the bow , right into the carb .
I run LOTS of airboats , and I can assure you ... they are not meant for choppy waters . A little chop is ok .. but anything over an inch or two is too much .
There is a section here on RCU that has lots of short vids of airboats running if you would like to see how they run and basically what types of waters they run on .
Old 06-19-2006, 11:08 PM
LtDoc

nitro man,
Take a look at the videos. If your water is choppier than what's shown, I think you'd have problems. Not just with this airboat, but with any airboat. (Unless it's quite LARGE!)
- 'Doc
Old 06-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I would also recommend staying away from the Horizon/Pro Boat stuff. Their boats usually require modifications and replacing parts BEFORE even running them, which can easily add up to a couple hundred dollars. Many of their boats also have very thin fiberglass which is prone to stress cracking, especially the 1/12th Bud/Llumar/Elam. Just a friendly word of caution