Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Prather Pirhana

Old 07-03-2006, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prather Pirhana

Hi all, I have an older boat, the Prather Pirhana. I bought it a few years ago and I was wondering how long ago prather products made this boat. It came with an OPS .80. I uploaded some pictures. I need to repair the right sponson because it has cracks in it from my last crash. For some reason it loses radio range very easily I crashed into the shore at full speed because the servo stays at full throttle when it goes out of range. I tried to attach a spring to the throttle linkage but all that did was out a huge load on the servo. I put a new radio in it but that didnt seem to solve the problem I still barely get half a block of range before it stops. I need to get a fail safe system so if it loses range it automatically cuts the throttle back.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28268.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	486415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71730.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	486416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80578.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	486417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg98269.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	486418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq89872.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	486419  
Old 07-03-2006, 10:09 PM

Default RE: Prather Pirhana

Hey there Brother, I remember still seeing new ones for sale in the early '90s. Not sure when Prather discontinued 'em though... My guess is late '80s- early '90s. Supposedly discontinued due to a dispute with Octura over the design...

I picked up a new unbuilt one on eBay recently. When I get 'round to it, I'll build it to run with a K&B .67... They were a popular engine choice when the Piranha was current.

Tell me; how do you like yours? Is it at all competitive with modern riggers of similar size?

Duane
Old 07-05-2006, 12:41 PM

I havn't gottent to raced it yet. I live in montana and I cant seem to find anyone with a boat. but the previous owner sait it would easily skim the water in excess of 85 mph, and I believe it too. thats fast enough for me. it looks like a blur across the water. I have gotten it full speed before and its quick, but the last range test I did i only had half a block of radio range, so I'm afraid to bring it full speed. but when this thing is in the water, stuff like ducks and turtles come up on you very fast. This boats handling is awesome I have a Futaba S206 hi torque servo for steering, that seems to do the job very well. This boat needs to be tuned though, when I turn full rudder to the right, its way too much and the boat whips around and the front end digs into the water and it dives about 2 or 3 feet under water. Also, it seems to bouce violently at full throttle until it gets to a certain speed then it stops bouncing and takes off like a bat out of hell. it starts bouncing after turns too. just needs some tuning is all. I dont know much about nitro boat engines but Im learning. Sometimes when I get the bout out on the water it dies out of nowhere but I found out that there were air bubbles in the fuel line
Old 07-05-2006, 02:14 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Awesome boat, I wanted one when i was a kid. Try hooking one of these [link=http://h1069725.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=DYN2553]hobby town[/link]up to your throttle servo, . How old is the radio system? As far as radio problems try this, with the boat on the stand ( engine off ) and the radio system on gently shake the receiver while moving the throttle ans steering with the transmitter. The antenna wire may have a small break in it. I had the same problems in one of my R/C cars
Old 07-07-2006, 06:44 PM

I put a fail safe on today plus a new battery pack, a JR 1650 mah 4cell pack. I thought maybe the battery was getting crappy range. I was using alkaline batteries before. now I will test ou the new pack I hope its enough juice for my boat.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:04 PM

Hello again Brother Dust, i think Prather stopped production of the piranha around 1992,ive been going a bit mad since last time,and decided to convert my piranha to gas with a 26cc zenoah,at present i have the motor fitted into the hull on 4 rubber mounts & some homemade brackets, drive fitted up lovely,only problem ive faced so far is finding a suitable fuel tank,and im thinking of making one from fiberglass, i wonder if anyone has did this conversion before,id like to know if anyone has,heres a couple of pictures of job so far, i will let you all know how i get on later.if readers have any opinions or ideas id like to hear.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33706.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	498288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39227.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	498289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11199.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	498290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37572.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	498291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85813.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	498292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90735.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	498293  
Old 07-28-2006, 10:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks great Pirana! Get some more pics and info on it!

Dust,
The radio range is a big problem. I would try to figure that one out before you run it. You have a nice setup, don't meet the beach again!
What radio is it? Do you have the antenna straight and not coiled up? Is it near any wires or even metal? Is it AM by chance?

If you do decide to run again with the same radio I would install a fail safe and throttle spring. The load on the servo from the spring is normal. You are not concerned about the constant load on the rudder servo when running, are you? Same deal with the throttle return spring.

Ryan