Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

My old unfinished Key West... what fate?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

My old unfinished Key West... what fate?

Old 07-07-2006, 12:02 PM
tuvix72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My old unfinished Key West... what fate?

Hi all,

I'm reviving my passion for rc after a 15 year break and after much effort I finally found the box containing all my old junk I never had the courage to throw out. Along with all the junk was this unfinished Key West by Graupner. I was pretty rough-handed back then and it really shows! The hull is put together very roughly and the cuts are rather bad, the motor is an Irvine .20 and I threw it in there with very little planning or thought. I remember this boat started out as a sort of challange to be the fastest kid on the lake... probably the only 'kid' on the lake now I know this isn't the normal power plant for this boat... seems like I had also started to cut out the bottom trims that are molded into the hull, probably for a more level run... it's been so long!

Anyway, I am wondering what to do with this little gem... I've kept her all this time I just don't feel right about trashing it. I could finish it and see just how crazy I was back then, convert to electric which was the suggested setup or turn her into a bath tub toy for the kids... any thoughts? I have the lid, decal sheet and dummy exhausts, missing the pilot heads and visors.

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: My old unfinished Key West... what fate?

First thing i would do to the little poor thing. Is to paint it an awsome paint scene. I love dragons so I would design one that looks kewl maybe even some flames. Then I would upgrade the engine if I could along with anything else. Radio system to. But hey I only have dream's lol.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:54 PM
CadillacDTS2001

get a new prop and running hardware
Old 07-08-2006, 07:21 AM
tuvix72

Actually the prop and shaft are from an older boat I had, I have a box full of props and shafts... The piece that holds the shaft near the prop is missing and so are the couplings to attach it to the motor so a new set of running gear is certainly needed. The rudder I feel doesn't need replacement right?

The radio is missing, used to be an old Futaba 2ch. I did bring back to life an old Expert 7ch but it's 36MHz I used in Australia for flying so I don't believe I am allowed to use that in the US. Thankfully new radios are cheap now so a little pistol grip would be a no brainer.

As for paint, I wish I could do flames, heck I wish I could paint more than a flat color but if I do finish her I will have a friend who paints do something fun for me.

So you guys don't think it's a krazy thought to finish her? Even with the nitro outfit that's in there? What about the glues, they are 15 years old now, do they degrade over time?

Thanks for the suggestions! I would love to see her skip accross a lake one of these days!!
Old 07-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is a WILD looking KW!!! I love it!!!

I say finish it. Just get a straight back tuned pipe instead of that car pipe. Maybe drizzle some slow CA over all the glue joints. I would also put an auto-bailer in the rear of the hull. It has very little free board and with an open top it will take on a lot of water.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:44 PM
tuvix72

OK... you guys have got my blood running again :-) I took everything out of the boat to strengthen the joins and I think some re-thinking needs to occur as far as radio gear placement, specially now that they are so tiny...

I hope you don't mind me asking some basic questions, I am really behind on the times here...

- I recall having a lot of trouble with the old couplings in an older boat. What kind of coupling and flex shaft should I be looking into?
- The prop angle... help! Should I aim to have it parallel with the hull? The original hardware that came with this boat was a straight shaft which would put the prop at an angle pointing downwards... what's the norm?
- While I know starting the engine is a long way away, I was never fond of starting marine motors with "that belt". Can such an engine be retrofitted with a pull start?
- Lastly, the engine is 15 years new ;-) That is, bought over 15 years ago but never started. Any special care I should give it prior to testing it?

Also, while I see many retailers for planes, cars and such I haven't found a great deal of boat parts and running hardware. Could you list a couple good retailers I can look through for some parts? Such as the auto-bailer (I was just going to ask how to seal her up or keep water out).

Thanks guys, I really appreciate this, I can't believe she may finally get finished!
Old 07-10-2006, 01:30 PM
tuvix72

Me again, I hope I'm not taking advantage of people's availability by asking too many questions...

I also found these engines which I think at one time I was going to use one for a boat. The Esprit engine came out of my Tamya Frog while the LeMans was never used (although been out of the box for a long time). I have another LeMans identical to this one but the shorter version, it's still sealed up so I didn't open the box, the 'yellowed out' instruction sheet says it's a high reving engine for aircraft use. Being 15 years old or more, are these things any good anymore? I'm figuring technology has come along so far these are about as good as motors found in today's toys... If memory still works, I think these were 540 size motors, there's also another LeMans which is much smaller, probably for a slot car or similar...

Isn't it fun looking through your long forgotten treasures?
Regards
Old 07-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- I recall having a lot of trouble with the old couplings in an older boat. What kind of coupling and flex shaft should I be looking into?

I don't run nitro boats, so not sure. But on very powerful electric motor boats it is common to run a flex shaft or wire drive. An Octura flex shaft coupling is the standard.

- The prop angle... help! Should I aim to have it parallel with the hull? The original hardware that came with this boat was a straight shaft which would put the prop at an angle pointing downwards... what's the norm?

Surface drive is the way to go!

- While I know starting the engine is a long way away, I was never fond of starting marine motors with "that belt". Can such an engine be retrofitted with a pull start?

An old engine? Probably not. Pull start engines use a different style crankshaft pin.

- Lastly, the engine is 15 years new ;-) That is, bought over 15 years ago but never started. Any special care I should give it prior to testing it?

If it has never seen fuel, then just a few drops of oil down the glow plug hole should suffice.

Also, while I see many retailers for planes, cars and such I haven't found a great deal of boat parts and running hardware. Could you list a couple good retailers I can look through for some parts? Such as the auto-bailer (I was just going to ask how to seal her up or keep water out).

http://www.bbyracing.com/

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/MainPage.htm

http://www.drcwebservices.com/ffe/

http://www.finedesignrc.com/

http://www.rocketcityracing.com/pilot.asp

I also found these engines which I think at one time I was going to use one for a boat. The Esprit engine came out of my Tamya Frog while the LeMans was never used

The "fastest" electric 540 motors of 15 years ago are worse than the slowest slugs of today. Sell them to a collector or keep them for your own collection. But don't expect any decent performance compared to modern 540 car motors.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:09 PM
slowstang88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

before you start the engine, i would take off the backplate and see if the crank has any rust on it, maybe even disassemble it so you can check the crank pin. if it has light surface rust, i would scrub it with automatic tranny fluid, rinse and scrub it with soap and water, then spray it with a good water displacer(wd40), then spray it with a solvent to remove the water displacer. before reassembly, put some of the fuel youre going to run on the crank snout,pin, piston, and anywhere else its in contact with anything. take off the carb, put a couple of drops on the crank, take out the glowplug, and spin it over by hand a few times to distribute the fuel.re assemble and start it.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:05 PM
tuvix72

Thanks guys,

Those links will serve me very well, I am slowly making a list of items I will need to complete her. As for the prop, how does one figure out the depth at which the prop should be?

As for the engine, it's an irvine, here's the box but as you said, being old it's probably not upgradable to pull start...

I had a feeling those old 540 motors were no good anymore... It's a shame to see some of these items which at the time were expensive pass their usefullness without ever having been used... Here's another motor, I figured no sense keepining it sealed so I opened it up. Had big plans for it back in the day...

At least they are still good at bringing back old memories :-)

Thank you all for the help!!
Old 07-13-2006, 06:40 PM
gasfreak
My Feedback: (13)

Hey just a suggestion I have the same boat mine has a speed 700 bb by graupner the drive is from hobby lobby with a 45 mm prop this thing will run right at 30 mph and it handles like a dream I had the boat to beat in my neck of the woods for a long time I also run 12 cells in 6 on each side right beside the motor Hobby -lobby has every thing you need to convert it to electric and then you can run your hatch anyway that will make it look a lot better also not saying it dont look godd as is just a suggestion I think you would enjoy it a lot better and be totaly surprised, peace
Old 07-14-2006, 08:33 AM
tuvix72

I know what you mean, electric has come such a long way that it's a trivial decision which one to go with. I used to be a glow flyer and have picked up the hobby again however flying solely electric. But the urge to finish her the way she started is still strong, even if it's for a couple runs, then I'd likely convert her into electric which I'm sure would give me more opportunities to run her more often.