Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

WINDSCREEN MIAMI 55"

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

WINDSCREEN MIAMI 55"

Old 07-11-2006, 04:37 PM
shonka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WINDSCREEN MIAMI 55"

CAN ANYBODY HELP ME,I NEED TO MAKE OR BUY A WINDSCREEN FOR MY BOAT OR ANY IDEA WHAT I CAN DO,CHECK MY PICTURES FOR IDEA?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36291.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	490192   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45503.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	490193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30527.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	490194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32115.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	490195  
Old 07-11-2006, 07:40 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Default RE: WINDSCREEN MIAMI 55"

Cut out some cardboard mock ups. Like out of the back of a notepad.

Get the height, shape and angle you want for the windscreen pefected in cardboard.
Then trace it onto clear styrene. Cut out the styrene.

Mark where you want the windscreen on the hatch, cement some styrene strips on that location to create some mounting surface and support.

Then cement the styrene windscreen you created to the top of the hatch.

[8D]
Old 07-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Shonka.As Umi said make a mockup of the size and kind of windscreen you want and then transfer it onto your material.I used clear plexiglas (or use colored if you can get it ) and made the parts,sanded and trimmed until it fit,then glued the edges together.After it dried I attached it to the hatch with clear silicone,which is easier to get back off in case it gets damaged.I didn't like the clear look so I took it back off and sanded it and painted it with a gloss black paint used on plastic.Good Luck
Old 07-12-2006, 03:55 PM
shonka

THANX LADS,I WILL HAVE A GO AND I THINK I WILL MAKE IN BLACK,ALSO TO PAINT THIS BOAT WOULD SOLVENT SPRAY PAINT BE OK ON PLASTIC OR IS THERE A SPECIAL PAINT DESIGNED FOR PLASTIC?
Old 07-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi again Shonka,I don't know if these are available in your area but Top Flite Lustre Kote model paint can be used on plastic and also Krylon Fusion for plastic.I've used both on plastic with good results.Lightly sand the plastic with wet/dry,400 or 600 grit sandpaper,clean off with tack cloth or wet cloth and prime with a primer that is from the same company as the paint for best results.Sand the primer with finer sandpaper,600 or 800 grit,clean again and apply your top coat.A little extra effort but gets a nice job.Wet sand between coats of topcoat,if you need more coats.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:36 PM
empirebuilder

Shonka,
My eyes may decieve me, but that looks like a Dumas Scarab hull, which would be fiberglass. I have a 48" version myself. The original kit came with thin plexiglass and the drawings had dimensions for the windshield cutouts. It was optional to do the plexiglass windshield, you could also build it with wood in place of the windshield for the "racer" version.

I have not done anything on my kit yet, so no more info other than what I have read.

Cheers!