Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
 Preparing SUfrace For Painting >

Preparing SUfrace For Painting

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Preparing SUfrace For Painting

Old 08-05-2006, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preparing SUfrace For Painting

Hi everyone, im just about to paint my boat and i have all the correct paints etc having read through the forums however i cant find a thread that answers my question - do i need to sand the hull so as to remove the gel coat finish before painting or d i simply ensure the surface is clean and the paint will bond to the gel coat, thanks in advance,
Jon
Old 08-05-2006, 11:58 AM

Default RE: Preparing SUfrace For Painting

Perhaps a fine sanding with 400-600 grit sandpaper or steel wool, wash the hull to remove any grease or mold release. Allow to dry and then prime, sand and paint required.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:37 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sand it with fine sandpaper untill it isn`t glossy/shiny anymore.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:00 PM

thanks guys, was probably a stupid question but always worth asking just in case
Old 08-05-2006, 07:38 PM

Be sure to clean it with acetone after you sand and then wipe with a tack cloth
Old 08-05-2006, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you are either outside of have good ventilation when you use acetone.

Tug
Old 08-06-2006, 01:44 AM

I ve found you should set up a clean room, with plastic drop coth, and a fan. Run the fan on exhaust and dont paint till that fan has been on for an hour, put up a few 60w lightbulb and have a mini paint booth, I set one up between two chairs. I actually use an inline duct fan attached to mylar duct and out a window, no fumes, no dust, and perfect temp. dont forget primer.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:00 PM

Hi,Dont lisen to VSOP in cleaning your surface with acetone!!!! it will eat your gelcoat!!!!!!.If you want real paint advice I can give it to you.I've been painting real cars,trucks,bikes and boat for 19 years!! To prepare your surface with 400 to 600 grit wet sands paper That if your priming it.If not use a red or gray schotch bright pad.Then clean it with tar and wax remover or if not ,use dish washing soap and water and then use rubbing alcohol then use a tack rag/cloth.I would prime it if it has any surface defects plus the the paint will stick better to it. Are you using spray paints or are you using automotive paints? I use auto paint it takes a better beating and I use base coat/clear coat system to get the ultra gloss efectes!! Plus if you clear it you can buff it out any realy see a ultra paint job.I will be posting pics of my hydro When I'm done with it and you'll see why I use automotive paints. If you need to ask me any questions about painting feel free to email me and I can happly help you out.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:16 AM

What type of auto paints do you use? Where do you purchase? I would imagine a spray paint type would be easiest, but haven't gone looking for paint yet for my Scarab.

Also, (naive here) I thought the gell coat on the boat was to support the paint and you just spray on over. Sounds like the recommendation is to rough the surface for better paint adhesion first....

Thanks...
Old 08-16-2006, 09:43 AM

Hi,It depends on what finish you want.Do you want a show car/boat finish or not.By priming it,it will help you find imperfections.Heres what I'd learned from a old timer!! Prime your surface with one color primer,Thats step one.Step two use a different color primer,But spray sprinkel it lightly!Buy doing this when you sand it,it will show you low spots high spots and any other imperfections on your boat sufface.The second primer will stay behind in those spots went your done sanding.Fix those imperfection with icing!! or spot puddy.Icing is like bondo but!! its supper light and made to go on painted and primed surfaces and dries alot quicker then the old spot puddy!!Then redo the priming steps again. As for auto paints. I get mine at my local NAPA store.They sell auto paints. Get the crossfire it's awsome!! and very adfortable too!! If you want a durbale finish do it in bass coat clear coat system.Plus it gives you a show car/boat finish plus with clears if you get alittle dirt/dust nibs you can wet sand it with 1500 grite and buff it out with out hurting you color finish!
Old 08-16-2006, 02:05 PM

Well in the end i went with the 600/800 glass paper to remove the gloss from the surface, then used car paint (the medium sized spray cans meant for touching up bodywork, although in reality they could cover my boat about 8 times over), then allowed it to dry for an hour before applying a second coat, then left to dry overnight. Then masked and sprayed second colour, left for 30mins and then clear-coated over the top (following instructions on cans). Overall im very happy with the finish, its had several runs in the river and no signs of wear or peeling from a bad adhesion to the hull, thanks for all the help!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88296.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	508254  
Old 08-16-2006, 10:11 PM

Hi,No prob.Nice paint job,But if you'd use auto paint prayed from a spay or small touch up gun you wouldve had a supper clear shiny/show car finish. The reason why I'd said to prime it ,because primer sticks adheres to gelcoats metals and other surface.Primer has a eching propetys that paint dont have. I'd hope for your sakes that the paint dont peal in few months.