Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
 Staining cocpit on dumas boat >

Staining cocpit on dumas boat

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Staining cocpit on dumas boat

Old 08-29-2006, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Staining cocpit on dumas boat

Builing my first wood boat. It said to stain cockpit and seal with sanding sealer. Wouldnt this be a different color from the hull after it is glassed. some help please. Thanks tim
Old 08-29-2006, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Staining cocpit on dumas boat

Flyreel Where about in Va. are you located?
You don't mention what kit or who makes it that you are building. Most of the cabin cruisers I have seen have a mahogany colored cabin and the hull is usually white. Now that is not to say that your model has to be that way. You can make it all white or what ever color combination you desire, or even all stained. Myself I have always like the mahogany color of the cabin and trim wood against a white hull.

Tug
Old 08-29-2006, 08:58 AM

Tug guy I live in Berryville, east of Winchester. Boat is Dumas 19ft runabout. I will be staining above water line . But that will be glassed which will make it look darker. Dont think sander sealer will make stain look darker. Tim
Old 08-29-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Berryville I know where that is, almost into W.Va. There is a lady there that raises Scotties. I am located more South Central Va.
Definitely the glassed wood will look darker. The alternative here is to try some samples on scrap wood. Maybe you can use a darker stain on the cabin that will match the hull. Instead of sanding sealer you could use thinned epoxy resin. That will seep into the grain and seal it better than sanding sealer. A few coats and it will look like glass.

Tug
Old 08-29-2006, 11:34 AM

Tug Guy The Scottie lady lives on ! st or Boom rd. Thanks I may try the resin. Tim