Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
 Help needed for Oar powered boat >

Help needed for Oar powered boat

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Help needed for Oar powered boat

Old 08-29-2006, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed for Oar powered boat

Anyone come across or have experience building an oar powered boat. I am building a rowing galley that will have 12 oars on each side. I think that I have the mechanics worked out but I could use some ideas. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-29-2006, 10:43 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Help needed for Oar powered boat

I saw a Viking ship at the Toledo show a couple of years ago but lost the pix in a computer crash. RCBM also had a feature in the boat. He used a belt drive on each side of the boat to control steering with each oar hooked up to pullies that each had an oar attached. Also at a later show there was a model of one of the first steam-powered boats that used a strange system using oars. Those oars were vertical.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:59 AM

Essentially, you want to attach the handles of your oars to the circumferance of a circle.
As the the handle moves up the rear edge of the circle the blade will be angled toward the bow of the boat. Then as the handle rises, the paddle will dip into the water. As the handle follows the circle up and forward, the paddle will be driven down and back, and then repeat the process.

The length and depth of the stroke will depend on where you place the fulcrum on the oar.

[8D]
Old 08-30-2006, 02:04 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I thought that I could rig a similar system. Perhaps something that was belt driven and moved a piece of aluminum stock through a circular motion (translational?). My oar mounts would be spaced accordingly along the surface of the aluminum stock. As the motor would turn, the aluminum stock would move around pivot points on fore and aft pullies (driven by a belt). This would create a circular path to drive the oars. I'll experiment this weekend. Thanks again.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:21 PM

have pictures of a Viking ship by friend, unfortunately died some time ago. do not seem to be able to insert pictures into reply. Looked good on water. oars were operated by common beam with rotating pivots at ends (driven by geared motor)

[email protected]
Old 09-02-2006, 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: jamesr-RCU

have pictures of a Viking ship by friend, unfortunately died some time ago. do not seem to be able to insert pictures into reply. Looked good on water. oars were operated by common beam with rotating pivots at ends (driven by geared motor)

[email protected]
Click on the
button. A new window should pop up, and below the text window you should see "Click here to upload images and files!"

Click on that text, and A new window will open and you can browse and upload images from your computer. Images should be sized below 100K file size, or they will not be accepted.