Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Drag boats

Old 10-10-2006, 11:00 PM
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag boats

I realize this might be a very small segment of the boating hobby but I'm surprised it is not being done somewhere in the country, it might be, I'm not sure. Like R/C car drag racing it would have a small following but would be fun with the potential to grow.
I would invision two power plant types, electric and nitro and two hull types, hydro and flat bottom. To keep it simple electric could be 1/16 scale (82 ft course) with low turn motors (9t or so maybe brushless) and 7 or 8 cells.
Nitro would be .21 -.26 car engines w/ clutches for a standing start and a slightly longer course, 1/10 scale would be 132 feet. Each would require a minimum of space.
I think the racing would be exciting and fast pasted, with good spectator appeal.
Initially a very minimum course layout with a starting light and two guys watching for a winner across the finish line. It could get more elaborate as time and participation increased. The technology is already out there, just need to adopt it to float.
Attached is a photo of an electric hydro I designed some time ago. It was very fast but kept burning up ESC's, might just need a micro switch. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34612.jpg
Views:	910
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	538938  
Old 10-10-2006, 11:29 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Drag boats

There is the www.rcdba.com but they mostly race Gas boats.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:32 PM

Hi Painless they do , they hold a r/c drag race in Texas at Legg Lake, I am not sure of the exact Date but I believe its comming up, I will get back to you soon with more info on this, I half to go into my files . chuck spragg
Old 10-10-2006, 11:46 PM

Texas has a Legg Lake? I know there is one in California but not Texas.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:10 AM

Ron Olson has the info I was going to post chuck
Old 10-11-2006, 12:12 AM

Sorry Ron your right its not in Texas
Old 10-11-2006, 12:16 AM

Ron I am still trying to locate Flyin Rats Sass , I e-mailed that website you mentioned maybe they can help thanks chuck
Old 10-11-2006, 12:20 AM

Painless thats a nice looking drag boat , nice detail even has a rope defector, two thumbs up, good job
Old 10-11-2006, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the compliment Chuck.
The boat is about 22" long and mostly balsa with a plywood center floor. Its painted with krylon and the other colors are trim monokote. If I did another one I would fiberglass it. The dummy engine is a parma 1/10 scale hemi that's held in with velcro. I ran a 9 turn brushed motor on 7 cells and an x435 prop and a solid shaft.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:09 AM

Painless I have a true passion for drag boats, I once owned and drove a blown gas flatbottom and race it in the late 80,s and early 90,s boats name SPOOKY 004 the red one Cole TR-5 565 cu.in. blown Arias hemi 1600 hp and won four championships 88,89,90,91, with the ADBA out east and set numerous course records along the way best ET. 7.61 top MPH 147.69 , I also want to build a flatbottom just like the one I owned, I know of a guy that builds them but cannot contact him, he goes by the name on Intlwaters.com Flyin Rats Sass if anyone knows him please contact me, if I ever get one I will post some pic's on this forum, good luck in finding some r/c drag boat racing , if you do please tell us about it. thanks chuck spragg
Old 10-11-2006, 12:27 PM

I have raced D and C stock hydros and have driven a few 5 liters, way cool. I wish I lived by more water, kind of scarce here in NM.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:47 PM

Wow I gotta go see these boats drag race. [8D]
Old 10-11-2006, 09:52 PM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1st, they do not drag race at Legg Lake. They have SAW's. Straight Away's is what that stands for. Like a Bonneville on water. One boat, makes two passes. One in each direction. And the times are averaged. It is coming up in November.

Electric r/c drag boating is around. A few guys are getting involved in it now. They are setting up a tree on the water. Randy Naylor of BBY Boats has made hulls available based on Brian Jone's design from the 80's.

http://www.bbyracing.com/dragboats.asp

Old 10-16-2006, 08:02 AM

I use to hang around with a guy that vacuum formed 1/16 scale hydros from abs plastic. My boat above was a prototype that he wanted to start producing but he had some personal problems and went out of business before anything happened.
That BBY boat looks pretty cool, I hope boat drag racing takes off.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:39 PM

I too would love to find a nice hull to built a nitro drag boat . If any of you other guys know where to find a hull that could take up to a 21 size motor please let us in on it so I can get one started for a winter project.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92580.jpg
Views:	2460
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	542901  
Old 10-18-2006, 01:24 AM

The RCDBA website looks to be a bit of a farce to me. Only 3 pictures on the entire site showing an RC drag boat in the water and it looks like it is struggling to keep out of its own way.

It is a nice idea but looks more like the site is dedicated to following full size boats as they tour around with their chainsaw motors on fiberglass planks. And now it looks like they have their own RCDBA full scale blown drag boat (while they dont have an RC drag boat). Amusing site but not real informative and very tardy boat building.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:25 AM

Have you checked out Hyperformance at www.hyperprod.com ? They've got one cool drag boat in there.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:44 PM
TIA

Hi guys!

OT question really quick, can any of you fine folks guide me to a website where I can find out about a club or group that regularly races and practices nitro course at Legg Lake in Whittier California?

Thank you kindly for the help.

Ron

Old 10-24-2006, 11:09 PM

Try this one: http://www.namba.com/content/showdis...=19&Contact=28
Old 11-05-2006, 04:07 PM

Hi Painless,

Your not alone! We have a tree and about 7 or 8 1/10 scale drag boats in our club in Northern California. There are more under construction. A few of us are also starting to build 1/5 scale gas Drag Boats. I have a web site devoted to R/C Drag Boats and we are finding more and more boaters interested in exploring this unique facet of the hobby! I would like to post you drag boat in our gallery. Please contact me at [email protected]

FYI: Someone mentioned that the RCDBA boats looked like they were not on plane, that is hardly the case, they have had their boats hit over 80mph from a standing start in 264 feet. That was timed on a real drag boat course, their boats do race and are quite fast.

Our 1/10 scale boats have hit over 70 mph from a standing start in 132 feet. These are not just pretty show boats!

Here's a link to our new R/C Drag Boat web site:
[link=http://www.RCDragBoats.com]www.RCDragBoats.com [/link]

Old 11-08-2006, 04:12 AM

I went to www.RCDrag boats.com and after talking to Dan Chase I was hooked on this site and became a member . If your into r/c dragboats or dragboats in general thats the site for you, I will be building one this winter to be done for spring time , My only problem is do I build a Hydro or Flatbottom, OK one of each
Old 11-08-2006, 09:18 AM

Cycloneracer (Dan),
Feel free to use that photo if you can grab it from here. If not I can email you a better one.
You site is cool, I wish I could generate some interest around here.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:51 PM

Hi Painless,

If you can send me more pictures to [email protected] I would appreciate it! Also, I like to credit the builder so please include your name unless you don't want it out there. There is a growing group in the Phoenix area and an established group in Fort Worth Texas, so New Mexico may be next! Come on over and join the forum, there are lot's of guys interested in building wood boats like your and we can use all the experienced guys we can get to help the newbies along.

Did you draw up plans for your boat or did you build by the seat of your pants? I get lots of requests for plans all the time. If you have any you would be willing to donate, it would be greatly appreciated!

Chuck, you were gonner before you found that site! Did you see what you caused me to go and do?!? It's all your fault, at least that's the story I'm telling my wife and I'm sticking to it! How fast would a 19 foot hydro be with a 1200hp Donovan BBC with Duel overhead cams be?!!?
Old 11-08-2006, 01:42 PM

I get an error message when I click on that link. I'll take some picture this weekend, I have a better camera now.

TLAR, "that looks about right". I drew up an outline of the boat and just filled in the rest. I'm sure I don't have it anymore. The hull is all balsa except for some 1/32 ply for the center floor and I think a 1/4 basswood transon, it is very light. Also being balsa it was easy to cut with an xacto and went together fast. Like I mentioned above it was a prototype that would have been made out of ABS plastic eventually, which means we would have used my model to make plug halves and it might have gotten ruined in the process.

Are you using a micro switch like the land based drag cars use?

I like that video on your site. That boat dances around just like a full scale before settling in, way cool.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:09 PM

Thanks, Painless. Here is my alternate email [email protected] it looks like the forum is adding something to make it a link, try just cutting and pasting, or you can just go to my web site and on the bottom of the home page and just about all the pages is a link to my email.

I built my first drag boat with the same TLAR method!!! Brian Jones who has a lot of boats on there crewed on Public Enemy before Denver died in a crash. His boat's were pretty accurate. We made sacrificed one to make the www.BBYRacing.com buck. It's kind of funny how a bunch of us around the country were building the same thing in the same scale not knowing each other.

In the video, Brian's boat is running 16 cells and an AstroFlight cobalt motor with a microswitch. My boat and most of the boats in our club run Brushless motors. If you go to the forum [link=http://www.RCDragBoats.com]www.RCDragBoats.com [/link] on and click on "show and shine" I have more video posted in there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.