Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Old 03-11-2007, 11:58 PM
cyclesoul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

here's the pictures of my modded surfn lisa that I picked up CHEAP on ebay. Still needs a bit of work, like a decent cooling coil and some brush cooling, better water pickups and maybe some esc cooling as well, oh and a decent prop, stock prop is rubbish! Surfrider.net has some good value upgrades for these things 2, well worth checking out

Destickered much of the outside and even put some wax under her front foot cause i was a little bored!

inside

Old 03-12-2007, 01:08 AM
metaldog

Thats pretty sweet !!!
Old 03-17-2007, 01:24 PM
metaldog

Well I took this thing to the beach and have to say ... its not that bad stock !!! I was surprised !! Waves were about 2 - 3 feet and wind was pretty calm. It didn't really jump as far or high as I wanted but was still fun.

It's defiantly getting modified !!!
Old 03-21-2007, 03:53 PM
rogue29

My girlfriend bought me one for valentines day. I had been looking at the kyosho kit too, but too few out there and way too much. Metal dog is on the right track. I think the Hull is workable and think the leaning of the surfer is goint to have to go away. His joints will break in the surf. Keep the updates coming Metaldog. Took mine out to a pond and was not impressed with the speed. I live next to a river with a small spillway that has a 1 foot standing wave that you can ride on your stomach not big enough to surf but i am going to see if this will surf it.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:02 PM
rpmsurf

I had the Kyosho version many years ago, but after a month or so of constant use and lack of a good seal, saltwater eventually got the best of the electronics and I never replaced them. I'm not much of an RC guy, my dad is a big RC plane guy and he put the Kyosho version together for me. I am an avid surfer though, but the poor / small waves in central Florida where I live make it hard to surf much, but they are perfect size for an RC Surfer. I've actually gone through two of the new Boardsharks RC Surfers from Walmart already in the past two months. I found it to be too slow as well, but I replaced the prop with an Octura X432 copper prop, which is one size bigger than the cheap plastic prop it comes with. I also got two new battery packs, a 8.4v 4200 Nimh and a 8.4v 3500 Nimh pack. The combination of the bigger prop and the bigger battery made it much faster and plenty fast for me. I also was getting close to 30 minute run times, about double what I was getting out of the battery it came with. The Boardsharks Surfer looks much more realistic surfing the waves with the moving body. This thing absolutley looks real!! The Kyosho version always looked kind of stiff and a bit unrealistic to me. I've been able to pull off some way better maneuvers that look much more realistic than the Kyosho version.

Now for the bad news. At first, the seal was really good and for the first 10 or so uses, hardly a drop of water got inside the compartment. One time I noticed the foam tape was peeling up a little bit at the front of the compartment, but I didn't really think anything of it because I had just used it and no water got in. Next use, that's all she wrote. A good amount of salt water flooded the compartment and some of the circuits on the back of the engine completey coroded and fell off the engine. I tried to fix it, but like I said, I'm not much of an RC guy, and the electronics on this thing are just too complicated and frustrating to me. At this point, I was addicted to the thing, so I went out and bought another one. This time I sent in the warranty to the company that makes it. The new one I bought worked great for two times, then out of the blue, the compartment flooded with water again. The seal looked fine and I know I screwed in the bolts good, so I cannot figure out how it flooded. Anyway, I went home and immediately rinsed the compartment out with fresh water (at least it is better than salt water I thought). I tested it to see if it still worked, and it was fine. Then we had rideble waves here for two weeks (too big for RC guy). When it finally got small again a couple of days ago, I tried to take the RC Surfer back out, but no go, he's dead again. This time the engine still works, but the servo is fried. Damn saltwater. Any tips from you guys for keeping water out / making the seal better??

I called the company today to claim the warranty and they told me to fax a copy of the receipt to them with my name, address and phone # and they would send out a new one to me right away, no questions asked. They said I didn't even have to send mine back to them. Today was killing me, this morning had perfect 2-3 foot peelers with offshore winds, perfect for RC guy........ I envy you guys that can modify and fix these things.

By the way, a friend of mine that lives in Rhode Island knows the guy who came up with this version of the RC surfer and sold it to the toy company (Planet Toys) apparently for a good sum of money. Supposedly he is doing a skateboard and snowboard version as well under the Boardsharks name.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:55 AM
rc surf

Anybody figure out the mods on this one. I dropped a 19 turn komodo in this guy with the existing electronics. It flew for about ten minutes until it burnt up the on off switches. I noticed with the new motor the comonds on the t/x were opposite. Pulling back on the trigger you would go in reverse and pushing the trigger foward you would go foward. Where with the original motor they were the exact opposite. I dont know if this had anything to do with the electrics cooking. But he flew while it lasted punching through the surf much faster and easily.

I would like to put in a new esc but I dont want to lose the body turning feature. This guy does not right himself as well as a kyosho and turning the body and holding while he is down helps him pop back up quicker. The servo/control for the rudder and guy has a pair of wires(blue and green) which control the rudder. Then a set of four(black, yellow, green, red) which im guessing work the guy. Anybody know how to make these work?
Old 04-10-2007, 12:27 AM
gorcpnd4pnd

Hey, Check out rcsurfrider.com. He said he could modify my boardsharks, but to keep the body twisting you will need a 3 channel radio. I plan on doing this soon.. As for the leakage he also sells a leaking kit. The web site is not up to date, but I spoke to him and he still is in buisness. Also he is located in Huntington Beach CA. Good luck
Old 04-10-2007, 01:23 PM
BassMan257

anybody drop a brushless in one of these yet?
Old 04-10-2007, 02:55 PM
alloutcustom

y go brushless? put a brushless in a real boat
Old 04-10-2007, 03:07 PM
gorcpnd4pnd

I would stick with a 19T, but the electros in this thing suck! You will need to throw in an esc. I plan on gutting mine out for tru power. Has anyone finished modifying the boardsharks wet?
Old 04-11-2007, 12:45 PM
gorcpnd4pnd

Well, I took my boarsharks to the beach yesterday(HB). and WOW there was some huge waves. Too big for this guy, but after taking a beating by the surf I took him home and ran in the pool at my apartment to get some of the sand and salt off. After that I took of the hatch and not a single drop inside! I was impressed because he took a beating! I definetly needs more power though. Anybody working on these yet?
Old 05-05-2007, 04:21 PM
metaldog

Yeah I know ... I was impressed too because the thing had no water inside. I finished my mod to it .... I used a 2 channel radio and still have the twist of the surfer. I went with a 20T duratrax photon because it was cheap on ebay. I also used the existing water cooling for the stock motor because the Photon is a short can motor so it worked out well. I picked up a few Y shaped fittings for automatic sprinkler systems (drip irrigation type) and split the incoming and outgoing water lines and added a traxxas water cooled heatsink for my ESC. I had no problems at all with leaks or overheating .... my biggest problem is finding time to go to the beach !!!
Old 05-05-2007, 08:55 PM
rc surf

Hey Metaldog
I got the boardsharks also and was wondering if you could help out with some questions about the mods? Did you use the r/x it comes with or get a new one? What about the servo. Did you use the existing servo? If so where do the wires hook into to. The existing servo has a pair (blue and green on mine) and a set of four (red, yellow, green and, black).

I put a 19 turn komodo in mine and it burnt up the electronics. So I know I need a new esc and Reciever. Just not sure about how to wire in the servo. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2007, 11:05 AM
metaldog

No problem. I used a low-profile servo to save space. I connected the existing pushrod from the rudder to that and another push rod to the guy. I removed the gearbox that was acting as the servo. I cut that gearbox thing so that the hex shaped part that turns the surfer's body was still mounted inside and crafted a push rod to move the body via a small hole drilled into the gear of the hex part. I'm considering gluing a piece of plastic to that hex part instead so that the push rod is not in such a weird fashion ... but its working so until it breaks I'm not too concerned. I did have to use a different RX and TX and I have it stuck to the lid part and used clear silicon to seal the hole that the antenna wire runs through. For the esc I'm using an old novak rooster with a Traxxas water cooler that is feed water by tapping into the incoming and outgoing motor cooling lines. My nephew has the surfer right now and I think I'm gonna sell it to him and modify another one. I had a red one and wanted blue, now they have a blue one in stock. (My girlfriend works for WalMart so I get a 10% discount and that pretty much takes away sales tax and about 2.6% lower than the marked price.) When I modify the new one I'm gonna take pics. Also I'm using my existing NiMH 3300 6 cell batt packs and it works great. I wish I had pics of the mod in progress from start to finish, I only have pics of it out of the box. Like I said the next mod I'll take plenty of pics. I'll try to get it from him and get pics of the mod, but I'm not sure when I'll be out near his house.

heres the water cooler:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGBH5&P=0

You will want to get some extra tubing as well. I think HPi or tower's brand is the cheapest. I got the Y connectors at Home Depot in the automatic sprinkler section under the drip irrigation systems.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:03 AM
zacros2020

Did you ever get a chance to take some photos of you mods? I bought a Board Sharks surfer last week, and it seems like it will be fun once it is modified a little. I have not made it to the beach yet, but ran it in a couple of ponds. After about 10 minutes, the existing battery was dead. I will definitely start with a new battery and prop to keep this under budget for the time being. However, I do see further modifications in the future.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:53 PM
webdr

So help me GOD I will buy this! This is the coolest rc ive ever seen.
I surf and skimboard (not the sand skating, I ride out and turn into the wave) and watching that little guy looked so real it made me jones for the waves!
Old 07-26-2007, 01:47 PM
zacros2020

Yep. I bought one a couple of weeks ago. It has only been in the ponds, but I will be at the beach this weekend to really test it out. No mods yet, but it's only a matter of time. The biggest downfall right now is that the battery that came with the surfer does not last long enough.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:25 AM
webdr

So did you buy the sears one or the expensive one?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:38 AM
zacros2020

I found the cheaper board sharks model on ebay and picked it up for $60 w/ shipping. The battery drains fast though. 10-15 minutes of run time and your done.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:42 PM
webdr

Is the vintage Kyosho one better quality? I see the ones on RCSurfrider and they are VERY expensive. I dont want to sink 250+ dollars into one, but I will but the Kyosho for the right price.

Also. Is surfin Lisa a Kyosho? Im lost!
Old 07-30-2007, 06:57 PM
zacros2020

I am not certain, but I think that the only one you can buy these new is the Board Sharks model. The others are not new. Also, I think that rcsurfrider and the others no longer mod these surfers. Your best bet is probably to buy the Board Sharks then modify as necessary. I ran mine at the beach Saturday and it ran well. It can certainly catch waves, and the inside stayed dry. I need to order a couple of batteries though. The one that comes with the surfer dies quickly.

While it was running, it was extremely fun. Mods will come as the budget allows!
Old 08-01-2007, 10:18 AM
h2oBound

New to the RC Surfer, went camping with some friends in Carpenteria, CA a few weeks ago. Sitting by the water, enjoying the view, and all of a sudden this little guy comes ripping through the 1-2 ft surf.....We all looked at each, and with a collective "We have got to get one (or a few) of those" it all started....

I found this forum (Thanks to all here for there experience and info).

Picked one up Sunday @ Toys-R-Us for $64 + change = tax.

Now if anyone would be so kind as to offer their input, just a few questions.

I saw an earlier post in this thread (Thanks rpmsurf) about replacing the battery with the 4200 Nimh. I went to my local Hobby store yesterday for some info. I was told that putting the 4200 Nimh in was no problem. (Ni-Cd vs. Nimh?) He said I would get the additional rum time (approx. 30 min.) and by using the faster charger I could get a full charge in about 1 hour. Does that sound about right? Not that I don't trust him, but he IS trying to sell me a $44 battery and $49 charger.

Without a full blown mod, I'm basically just trying to get a bit more speed and longer run time. I did purchase the metal prop ($9) which he said will increase the speed a bit. What about the Nimh? Does that affect speed as well? According to Hobby guy it does.

I'm also thinking about having the wife sew on a rash gaurd. you think that would affect the wieght and performance too much. I know, sounds absurd, but with (3) of us running the same time, looking for some individuality.

Well thanks to everyone for their patience, and again for all your help.

Now I need to go try that new prop out.............Later

H20 Bound
Old 08-03-2007, 10:15 PM
The RC man

Ok Here it is the definative lowdown on the new Boardsharks board.

I have been involved in rc surfing for years now & own evey single board from the Tubey, all the kyosho models right thru to the copied chinese surfer girls.

All up I have 16 surfers & they are all modified in different ways.
Different tails, turnfins, brushed, brushless, speed controllers, jet powered, different rudders etc etc

Naturally as soon as the new Boardsharks board hit the market I had to check it out!

To be honest I did not expect much because in the way of performance because I have already experienced how poor a stock surfer of any kind is with their 540 brushed motor & poor electronics.

Nonetheless I purchased two boardshark boards & enthusiastically took one down to my local surfing spot.
I decided to take one of my 7 cell metal hydride packs because the nicads are inferior in run time & power delivery.

First thing I noticed in the water was how slow it was. This is a combination of too much shaft friction & too little power.
The board had a tremendous amount of trouble trying to get over even the smallest waves & barely made it out to the line up. When I finally made it out the board did not have enough power to catch waves properly. When it is on a wave it is restricted in it's ability to surf because of the on/off functions. There is no proportion to the steering or the speed of the motor. Full right , full left & full speed(?)

Next noticable dissappointment was the boards ability to self right. I noticed that a few guys have said that twisting the rider will assist its recovery. I can tell you that this is far from normal & is a mosly due to a rider that is too heavy (especially top heavy).

My board just kept flopping in the water & I was waiting for other waves & whitewash to hit it to assist it self righting. Finally after been hit by the 6th or 7th wave it popped back up.

After around 5 min of trying to catch waves & get out the board started doing it's own thing. It wasn't out of range & the batteries were new. The board just started heading out to sea with no control at all. It was turning & riding on its own. It says on the box that it has return technology but this is nonsense.

Anyway now that I know how they perform out of the box I will remove everything & modify it to my own standards.
Classic case of "you get what you pay for".

I get dozens of individuals coming up to me on the beach lately. They all have tha same dillema. Nearly all of the guys have seen me playing with my highly modified brushless surfers that dont leak, selright instantly, & run for around 40 minutes per battery. They see my 50-55km /hr boards launching 15-20 feet of the top of waves (sometimes over 6 feethigh waves). They all thought that the cheap boardsharks board would perform the same & they are all having major problems & are all dissappointed. It seems that they are all frying the electronics especially trying to replace the stock brushed motors with lower turn versions. I also have had dozens of people that have wisely asked questions before purchasing.

The ONLY way to go is to remove everything & replace it.

It really does boggle me as to why the creators of this board did not test their own product. If you look at the video of the boardsharks board a trained eye will notice that the 30sec clip shows next to no manouvers. This is for a reason & one must ask the question why would they release such a limited video as a promotion. Put simply, if you saw the truth you probably would not buy it.

The Kyosho boards are no longer available (apart from a guy here in Oz that has around 18 new kits left) and they are the best .Then comes the Kyosho Lisa, then the Chinese surfer show (copied from the lisa by the chinese). Both the surfer lisa & the surfer show had leaking probs but with some extra sealing mods are a pretty good board. I can take any of my boards out in 6 foot plus surf & have them repeatedly dumped & not have a single drop of water or moisture inside.Even after 5 batt paks in a row. I dont use the girl riders because they leak & then dont self right properly, I use the original kyosho dude riders. They are made of a tough light weight foam covered in thin plastic. Being so light & bouyant they self right well.

After all the negative feedback & dissapointed kids & adults faces I have seen lately I thought it only fair to share the truth & clarify the major questions. If you are thinking of getting into rc surfing I hope this message finds you first you so you can hopefully make an informed decision.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:02 AM
rc surf

The RC Man is right. The boardsharks does not compare to a kyosho or Tubey. I started with a boardsharks and eventually got the Tubey. Not cheap. It cost me $460 to get a Tubey setup from OZ with one goofey footer dude and a regular footer dude and I believe that price has gone up. And that was stock. I dropped another $500 to modify to a brushless setup. Let me tell you it was worth every penny. Now i can blaze through the surf blasting big airs to get out into the lineup. Also catch waves with ease where the Boardsharks struggled.

I think the Boardsharks has potential to be modified but you still have the problem with the self righting. It does not self right very well. You definately have to twist the body using the guys arm to help push him up. That is the only way I could get it to self right fast. When he is face down by twisting and holding he pops up rather quick. Back down it takes longer as the arm does not twist as far when he is face down. All in all can't beat the Tubeys self righting ability.

Then there is the problems with the guy getting out of alignment. Also the fishing line eventually gets loose and he will lean to far and just fall over. You will have to re tighten to correct. I also had my guy break apart at the waist but you can pop him back together. Although the articulated body feature is cool I think it is just to delicate for larger surf and the dude is way to heavy.

RC man how do you get 40 min runtime? I use a six cell 4200 nimh and I get 25min tops and thats if I sit and wait for the sets. If I go full bore I probaly only get 15min.

There is a Rcsurfing group at Yahoo with lots of info. Just use the search feature. Also Dave Reese's Radio Waves dvd is pretty sick and has modifying tips as well. They use modified Kyosho dudes in that dvd. He rips some pretty epic waves in Santa Cruz and on some of those days I think I would be real surfing.

It's not a cheap hobby but the fun and enjoyment is priceless. Its pretty much always overhead for the little dude. Good luck and happy rc rippin.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:24 PM
licolau

Can anyone tell me what would be the different of using a 7.2V battery pack vs. a 8.4V pack?? Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.