Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

relocate receiver wire(antenna)

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

relocate receiver wire(antenna)

Old 03-20-2007, 11:30 PM
hdking46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default relocate receiver wire(antenna)

i need to move the antenna on my boat and the wire from receiver is to short. can i solder a longer wire on with having any receiption problems????
Old 03-20-2007, 11:34 PM
LtDoc

Default RE: relocate receiver wire(antenna)

You can have problems if an antenna is too short, as in lack of range. Can't say I've ever heard of anyone having problems because their antenna was too long though. Add away, it shouldn't be a problem.
- 'Doc

You know you got too much antenna when it makes the boat fall over, or sink.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, you can hurt reception. Radio waves are measured in wavelengths which is something that is measurable if you know how to do the math. I don't know that math though. Radios, both transmitter and receivers are tune to the frequncy band that they are on.
Let's go back to the obvious first question as to why you antenna is too short. What receiver and boat are you having the problems with?
Old 03-21-2007, 11:27 AM
LtDoc

Ron,
I'll agree with that to a point, mainly with transmitters, not receivers. Receivers, unless they are ~very~ 'simple', just aren't all that 'picky' about their antennas. The 'tuned circuit' thingy does apply to transmitters! But not to receivers. Until you get into the VHF/UHF areas 'resonant' receiver antennas just are not practical for things as small as R/C models (27Mhz - 9feet, 75Mhz - 3feet, 2.4Ghz - 0.25foot). And for the short ranges required with most R/C'ing, antenna length just "ain't no thing", sort of. The biggest difference with receiver antenna lengths has to do with range. More longer is more better (to some point). So is positioning the antenna where the transmitter can 'see' it best. Best analogy I can think of is a checking account. Easiest to do is 'subtracting', but not the best. Best is adding to it, which is the hardest...
- 'Doc