Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Using a marine engine w/ a radiator

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Using a marine engine w/ a radiator

Old 03-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Matt_M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using a marine engine w/ a radiator

I have always thought about the massive power marine engines make, and have in turn thought about using that power on land in an r/c car.

I figured I'd ask the boat guys here what might occur if a radiator was used of correct sizing for something like a MAC engine in an r/c vehicle. I really don't know if a radiator small enough to actually fit under a body would dissipate enough heat, or if it would surcome to heat soak and fry the engine with too little airflow. Any comments on how this could possibly work? I assume the worse, as no one has tried it in any vehicle which I have seen, but I am still curious as to what might be the outcome.

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Flabum

Default RE: Using a marine engine w/ a radiator

massive?? LOL
Old 03-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 125 Likes on 119 Posts

You would need a water pump to move the water, a radiator with a cooling fan to disipate heat. When you get to it, you are talking a lot of weight for not much gain. The average car engine is a high RPM/low torque design while the boat engine is a midrange torque/ lower RPM design. Aircraft engines have more torque and lower still RPM, unless you count ducted fan engines
Old 03-25-2007, 10:27 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

MAC does have an 1/8 scale .21 buggy engine but they are going to be harder to find as Andy Brown is getting ready ot release his own line of engines.
We've had this question asked before so you're not the first.
You're looking at a lot of weight as besides the radiator you'll need a cooling fan and a water pump plus a larger battery pack to power all of that extra stuff.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:41 AM
Matt_M

I'll admit, the idea is not the most practical. In fact, I don't believe I'll ever try it, but the idea of it has constantly bugged me.

In regards to "massive" power...someone mentioned to me that if I wanted the most power from an r/c monster truck, and wasn't satisfied with the D30m STS motor, that marine engines make massive amounts of power more than their size in an air-cooled version. They actually said use a MAC big bore, like .40+.

A small radiator could be kept to a few ounces without water, and I don't see the pump and fan adding much more than a few ounces either. The water for the system will add the most weight, as well as a larger battery pack. I can't see weight increase going much over a pound if it even hits that.

A one pound addition in a 12lb monster truck is small potatos in a sense. Especially if that one pound addition comes with a multiple HP increase, wouldn't you say?

What is the .84 rated, like 6.8hp? That would rip a monster truck tranny to shreds. (Basically the kind of power which would make me happy.)
Old 03-26-2007, 11:33 AM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Check into Computer overclocking supplies for a radiator and fan...
The radiators are are to die for...

http://www.dangerden.com/store/home.php?cat=5

[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
Old 03-26-2007, 12:01 PM
Quicksilver1

wow, I want to buy one just to buy one. Those are cool. Cheap too, might water cool my alarm clock.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:14 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 125 Likes on 119 Posts

Okay Matt, you are forgetting something. In these days of car ads claiming big horsepower to increase performance, what they are not telling you in said ads is that HORSEPOWER IS NOT WHAT GIVES YOU TIRE BURNING POWER, IT'S TORQUE. That being said, when you hook a car/buggy engine up to a transmission, you are going from35,000+ RPM doown to a more usable figure, of say 800 RPM. This, to most, looks like a loss of power, but in reallity the transmission is tradiing the high RPMs for huge increases in torque. If you were to put the transmission output on a dyno, you would see more torque from a .21 buggy engine than the straight output from a .67 marine engine. By the time you get all the added weight of the tuned pipe, radiator, fan, hoses, coolant AND BATTERY to run the fan, you are looking at 7 to 10 times the weight of the .21 buggy engine with transmission. Stick with the KISS principle and you will be happier in the long run.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Matt, it has been done already. A fellow named Brian Skinner, nickname "Skinny" built a water cooled T-Maxx. He used a water cooled four stroke engine, and made a radiator from old brass model airplane fuel tanks. I can't remember what he used for a pump. It might have been a Perry, or maybe it was electric. He did lots of sorting out, but eventually he got it running reliably and not overheating. RC Car Magazine did a full write-up on it. Brian Skinner later became an editor for that magazine. He is no longer with the magazine now, however.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:48 PM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

took these last weekend.

Rotax & a radiator

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44871.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	653695   Click image for larger version