Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:58 PM
minitman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me decide

Should I get into planes or boats? I like both but i cant decide.

I would probally get a slo-v or a super cub or a mini v or a shockwave 26 ep
Old 04-04-2007, 12:24 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: help me decide

We're just a little biased in this forum do I'd say try a boat. I've tried flying a few times, I have the crashing part down real well!
Old 04-04-2007, 05:50 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Since I do both I'm a bit less biased than Ron. The part I like most about boats is racing. If I didn't compete with them I personally would get bored. The part I like most about flying is the challenge.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:45 AM
mxracer154

i would say get a boat im selling my mini-t and getting the shockwave 26!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:27 AM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck and I speak the same language. Boats are for racing, planes can be also but they are pure relaxation and enjoyment. Watching boats run around in random patterns is as exciting as watching paint dry. Anybody can run a boat but taking the lead from Ron, flying takes some talent. Don't attempt it without an instructor unless you enjoy rebuilding and spending money. You can do both. Many of us do.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:55 AM
minitman

i shouldnt need an instructor since its going to be a hobbyzone plane and i can fly a blade cx pretty well. I might go with some guys from the hobby shop and fly while there going inverted and doing other kool stuff with their t-rexes.

I wouldnt race the boat but more of justrun it ar a lake.

I figured since i just drive around and jump and drive at schoool yards with my cars the boat would be the same...is that wrong?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:43 AM
LtDoc

"I figured since i just drive around and jump and drive at schoool yards with my cars the boat would be the same...is that wrong?"
uh... Sort of, boats don't do real well on dry ground.
- 'Doc

Do I figure you know that? Sure, but who could resist?
Old 04-04-2007, 12:04 PM
minitman

ok then, i said id just run it at a lake so good job there
Old 04-04-2007, 12:20 PM
skoda450

Chuck has it right. Boats and cars get boring very quickly unless you get into competion. Airplanes, fixed and rotary wing, are a constant source of challenge. I too do both so it comes down to availability of resouces. If you have and active AMA airplane club near you and they have a field go that way. They will be able to get you in the air sucessfully and help you with the progression to higher performance models. Remember, if you can't afford, either emotionally or financially, to take it home in a BAG then don't get in to airplanes. They ALL end up in peices some day. If is available, get into boats and find an IMPBA or NAMBA club to race with. It usually requires some local traveling but its lots of fun.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Square Nozzle

[quote]ORIGINAL: minitman

i shouldnt need an instructor since its going to be a hobbyzone plane and i can fly a blade cx pretty well. I might go with some guys from the hobby shop and fly while there going inverted and doing other kool stuff with their t-rexes.

I don't care what you plan to "Try to Fly". If you don't have someone that knows how to fly, give you assistance you will bring it home in a bag. There is no such thing as an easy to fly, no instructions needed airplane despite what the ads my tell you. Besides, it's the safe thing to do.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

What John said. Some of the planes that I rekitted were Hobby Zone planes. It sill helps to have an experienced flyer with you for at least the first few flights. I'd do the same if you're a new boater also. I've helped out several people around here with their new boats. Even I've had more experienced boaters go with me on maiden voyages.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:46 PM
Quicksilver1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's funny these opinions of boats being boring unless you race. Maybe I'm weird and/or easily entertained. Maybe this seems sad, but I've honestly never ran a boat with another person, let alone race. I've seen maybe 3 fast rc boats other than my own in my entire life. Anyway, what I'm getting at is I dont find it boring at all. I've watched many videos of boat racing and I cant hardly ever get through one, to me racing boats looks boring, flat water, round and round in circles, however I love watching videos of peoples creations, home built fast boats, doing things they shouldnt be able to do. not exotic performance boats that require so much tuning it sucks the fun out. Then again I'm also not a nascar fan either, rules bore me. I'm sure it's fun if it's your thing, but boating is not all about racing. Mind you, I'm also an actual boater not just rc, I've got a connection to the water that never could be broken.

I've also never had a boat, well besides a nikko boat that I didnt find challenging, but then I always run in risky water or with odd boats. I find it very relaxing. In my opinion, I actually find flying boring, and a bit nerve wracking. I like to be able to see the craft, and with flying, the plane tends to be rather far away. I'm totally not knocking planes, they are very challenging, but I dont like the whole crashing aspect. I really dont like to see things get ruined, especially after working so hard to build them. Yes, I know I'm the guy that actually managed to crash a boat while airborne, that was a rare event.

To each there own, but I wouldnt go saying boats are boring.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:14 AM
Square Nozzle

I knew it!! There is someone out there that enjoys watching paint dry and grass grow .
Old 04-05-2007, 09:10 AM
piper_chuck

The great thing about this hobby, R/C in general, is that what one person considers boring may be just the ticket for someone else. Diversity is great...

A note on flying planes. While at the beginning it's important to keep the plane several mistakes high, which results in it being a bit far away, that does not need to be the case later on. I know one guy who flies small, fast electric planes. They never get more than about 100 feet from him. As one's skills improve, you gain the ability to fly low and close in. If you want to get the blood flowing, try some high speed inverted passes over the runway. See how close you can get the tail of the plane without touching the runway. Want to learn to focus? Roll your plane inverted after takeoff and keep it upside down until just before landing. And while crashes do happen, proper preparation and learning to react well to unexpected events, such as dead engines, go a long way toward preventing or minimizing accidents. Do they happen? Yup, they sure do. However, I've also seen plenty of boat mishaps.

And more on why I like racing. Do I find it boring running around in circles? If I were the only one doing so, I sure would. However, when you've got 2-8 other boats all going around that same oval course, things get way more interesting. Also, in such conditions, the water is anything but smooth. Do I think racing is for everyone, or am I trying to convince anyone that anything other than racing is a waste of time? Nope, I'm just expressing my opinion on why I enjoy boating.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:00 AM
LtDoc

And there are a few of us discriminating ol'farts that do like to watch paint dry! Of course, it does depend on the paint. Older paint usually takes longer to dry so that you can get more watching time in. The newer stuff dries too quickly, have to have a lot of it, buy more of it, to get in that nice amount of watching time. It really isn't as easy as some people think, there is more to it than is readily apparent. Then again, there is the part about what the paint is drying on. Wood, metal, plastic, paper, what have you. My favorite is skin. I could watch that for hours. If you'd like to try it, I would suggest starting with your fingers. As you become more familiar with the process you can graduate to other things. I am sort of in the 'post graduate', professional stage. It requires a lot of concentration and effort though, it isn't for everyone! Most of my wet paint drying watching is now done at a local lake during the summer months. Although it isn't really necessary, I like to use an airbrush. Where there are no convenient electrical outlets I sometimes do finger painting. As I said, watching paint dry does require some effort. I do body painting, by the way...
- 'Doc
Old 04-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Square Nozzle

As a contact of mine in the UK once told me, The thlot plickens! Now we have two paint watchers among us .
Old 04-05-2007, 10:42 AM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: LtDoc
I do body painting, by the way...
Too much information. Way too much!!! [X(][sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 04-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Quicksilver1

I'm too young to be called a paint watcher. lol Boating is just my "zen" place, heck if I cant sleep, I imagine I'm on a boat, nothing like sleeping on a boat. How I went from comparing boat and planes to sleeping, I dont know
Old 04-05-2007, 01:32 PM
jdoug

Hey Quicksilver - I'm in the same boat, so to speak. I almost always running boats by myself. The only other boats that I have seen around here are mine or my brothers which I helped build. I just like watching the way the boat handles the different water conditions and the challenge of going faster with little changes. I also love the water and I can be down on the lake with my dog and my boats and lovin' it!
I never have owned a plane or flown one but I did, a couple months ago, but an electric heli. It's fun too, but unless I want to sink loads of money into it, I'm going to have to spend at least a year it seems to really know how to fly it.

The thing I don't like about planes is standing there looking up, it gets old fast.

But, watching a completely homebuilt boat tear it up across the water throwing a 20ft. roost, totally sweet! Rates right up there with ridin' dirt bikes.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Quicksilver1

good to hear someone else is like me.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:16 PM
DONS BOAT WORKS
My Feedback: (3)

I'm an ol'fart that likes to watch paint dry too. I enjoy building as much running.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:34 AM
Rich404

Minitman,

"Whatever floats your boat"

Any RC Hobby brings you to the outdoors, A good initial question to ask yourself is what element do you like best? Do you find yourself looking up at the sky? Playing on dirt or pavement? Or spending time at the Lake, Ocean or Sea like many of us here...The vehicle of choice will then come easy.

Not only do i love the Ocean, but happen to think that there is nothing more beautiful than the architecture of a classic yacht. I happen to really enjoy checking out the craftsmanship, the lines, the woodwork, the interior, and everything else associated with them. What is great about this hobby is that you have the opportunity to re create one of these beauties and sail it at will. Also, after a day at the lake, you can display it or tinker with it all you want.

And you don't have to be an old fart either................lol.

What do you like? and what brings you enjoyment?

Whatever you choose, i wish you the best and most of all, enjoy what you do.

-Rich.