Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Built it, now how to make it go?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Built it, now how to make it go?

Old 04-22-2007, 01:02 PM
boatnogo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built it, now how to make it go?

Hey there, new to the forum and have a huge question: I built a giant, 5 foot long steel encased, foam filled destroyer for my nephews, with the hopes to make it remote control. She's all built, not really scale, but the idea of a ww2 destroyer, floats, tracks well, won't tip over etc...but now I am scratching my head as to how to get it to go.
I fabricated everything at a low cost and would like to keep it that way. I have been looking at the electric motors and all that stuff but dont know where to begin.

I need a motor, a battery, a shaft, a prop, a rudder, a controller...everything.

OR

what do you think about the tug boat principle? attaching a sub or something that already has all of that stuff on her bottom?

Any helpful advice would go a long way...thanks.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:20 PM
saleens7

Default RE: Built it, now how to make it go?

......if you want to push somthing that big with an electric setup, dont hope for low costs...

if you want to keep it low, use a weed trimmer engine in it...and even then i wouldnt expect it to go fast.....

you will need a big motor, i would think something like a car starter motor....and even then, youll be putting a lot of stress on the motor and esc and there is a large chance it will overheat....

will it even float?

steel encased? doesent steel rust in water?

if you want something for your nephews to play with and dont want to spend a fortune on it, get them a couple of aquacraft hammers

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXMPE7**&P=7

or a couple of proboats

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PRB3100

or

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PRB3001

if you get two or each, make sure that you tell the seller to send ones on different frequencies...
Old 04-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Flabum

You might want to post this in the Scale forums, they would be more knowledgable of where you can get an electric set up for that vessel. Dumas make a Mr. darby tug that uses a car battery for power and a couple heavy duty motor setups. Here is the running hardware: http://www.dumasestore.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=466 and the motors: http://www.dumasestore.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=283. You will also need speed controls, rudders and a radio setup.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:07 PM
boatnogo

thanks for the responses, but i have to clarify. the steel is thin galvanized. The boat weighs about 20 pounds out of the water, but doesnt displace much because of the styrofoam inside. it sits relatively high in the water and skims right over it, sitting about only 2 inches in the water. it is very stable, with 2 pvc pipes extending in the middle bottom of the hull, filled with ballast. it will not tip over, even if i bang the side down, she flips right up. it floats, it will always float because of the foam and enclosed pvc chamber. the steel is cut and riveted along the outside of the hull. the towers, guns and etc...are all riveted and soldered sheet steel. all of it is painted and coated and was galvanized to begin with so rust isnt really a problem. Like i said, she floats well and stable, and tracks straight ahead. it wont take too much power to get it moving because of the styrofoam filled hull.

I know, its wierd. Its a tinkerer's thing that im sure alot of you guys understand.

Im sure an electric boat motor, a brush motor will get her movin' but have never installed, from scratch, all of the gear that it entails. thats why i also mentioned to "tug" concept, of attaching a production unit to the bottom of the hull and just pushing her around with something like that.

I guess i mine as well go all the way and sink a motor in it. but i dont know how exactly. computer and etc... are there kits? Im lost now that the fabrication is over.

I was hoping you guys had an inside track on this but i see how you could not possibly know how to do it, since you havent an idea on the weight and etc...

hopefully this new info will help. If not, I may just need to figure it out.

I didnt go to the scale forum because those tend to be wood models and such, and this frankenstein thing might not fit well in there.

as you can see, im lost anyway. thanks guys for the responses
Old 04-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

A couple of 12 volt Pittman, or Dumas motors will make that small ship run fine.
Some of the guys that run eight foot heavy cruisers run these motors in their ships.
And they are pushing up to a hundred pounds in dead weight.

Speed controls vary, the Proboat ESC will handle 12 volts as will several of the Mtroniks Viper Marine.
The Pittman/Dumas motors don't draw too many amps either so it is an easy match.

If you want to use standard 540 or RC car motors, plan on gearing or belt driving the propeller shafts down at 2 or 3:1 ratio. This will give those motors more torque, and the batteries better running time.

Batteries can be found at Battery Plus stores, or even Home depot(emergency light batteries).
You will probably want 12 volt 7 amp hour batteries or larger. This will give you plenty of running time, and put some ballast into the boat so that it doesn't ride too high, and tipsy.

You can make your own propeller shafts and stuffing tubes from telescoping brass rod and tubing from the hardware store. Look for K&S metal centers in ACE hardware stores or your local hobby shop.

Some of these items can be purchased also from Graupner, Mack Products or Robbe or Raboesch, if you are not up to [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4693927]soldering up your own stuffing tube.[/link][8D] The rudder post can be done in a similar but shorter manner.
Rudder can be a brass plate soldered to the rudder shaft, or wood or plywood mounted on the shaft.

Parts you need?
Wiring
Battery
ESC(s) (one or two) Electronic Speed Control
Motor(s) (one or two)
U-joints
Propeller shaft(s)
Stuffing tube(s)
Propeller(s)
Rudder(s)

And of course a two or more channel ground frequency(75mhz) Radio system

[8D]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48708.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	670007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74290.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	670008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42873.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	670009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36020.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	670010  
Old 04-22-2007, 04:53 PM
LtDoc

boatnogo,
A very simplistic approach sometimes makes things easier.
Motor. Depending on weight and hull 'shape', something fairly large ought to work fine. Maybe in the 500 - 800 'class'. I wouldn't expect impressive wakes and brow mustache thingys, but the 500 type motor would certainly make it 'creep' along.
ESCs or speed controlers. They have to be 'large' enough to provide reliable current to the motor(s). Which means you'd have to know about what the motor(s) current draw would be. Bigger ESCs are better than 'smaller' ESCs, don't get hot as fast.
Battery. Besides providing the current necessary to make the thingy run, they make very nice ballast. You might think about sealed lead-acid type batteries, much less expensive than the other kinds. An ESC with reverse is nice! One that has a 'brake' feature doesn't do much with boats. Don't forget a battery charger!
Radios. You'll need one that has at least two control channels. One for the throttle, one for the rudder. If you want to control other things, additional channels are nice to have. Since radios come in two basic 'flavors', 'air' and 'surface' types, get the surface type radio.
Since your boat is metal, and since radios don't do well inside metal enclosures, think about running the receiver antenna up out of the hull! The higher (to a reasonable point) the better. And since destroyers have a lot of 'sticky-up' things on them anyway, it just makes them easier to do and more 'impressive', sort of.
Good luck!
- 'Doc

[Pictures would be nice!]
Old 04-22-2007, 10:16 PM
boatnogo

thanks for the replys, I appreciate it. as far as photos, I don't have a camera; I'll get my neighbor...
Knew this thing was gonna cost me. Now ill be in for a motor, esc thingy, controller, servos, battery, charger...
I'm actually thinking about buying an aftermarket submarine, trimming the excess, unneeded parts, strapping it under the hull and hittin' the pool.

I figure for about 65 to 80 bucks, i could get a pretty good size sub, extend the rudder if needed and poof. it would have all the stuff i need. I know you guys are really into the hobby and probably hate the idea of rigging something, but to get the boys to be able to drive it in a little pond without breaking the bank of their uncle...what do you think? any suggestions there?
I could even extend the antennae up the mast like mentioned before. No one sees the bottom anyway, right?
Old 04-22-2007, 10:18 PM
boatnogo

oh, p.s., those ships look really, really cool. Like i said, this "destroyer" is more like a toy so the boys can mess with it. It has the guns and all that and appears to be in scale with itself, but you guys really did some nice work there. wow.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:25 AM
Maggster
My Feedback: (2)

I can't tell you how to put it all together, but for some cheap electronics you could try a cordless drill. A basic 2 channel surface radio with 2 servos, a cheap cordless drill from harbor freight, and some use of your fabrication skills should get you going. You could use the drill for motor, speed control, and battery. You may want to upgrade the battery to a lead acid type for more runtime. Check out american science and surplus for cheap batteries.

A sub would make it go probably, but very slowly. One that only cost 80 would be slow on its own, without trying to push 20lbs of boat.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:51 AM
13BT

I second the sealed lead acid battery idea. Its what my dad uses in his scale models. Excellent runtime. I can play all afternoon and still not deplete the battery. And motors need not be expensive. Youre not after speed records after all. Ask at your hobby shop for low rpm high torque motors 800 size or above that run on 12 volts. They dont cost that much. If you think they are asking too much, shop around at electronic stores.
And I bought a 12 volt waterproof speed controller 2 weeks ago for about 77 australian dollars. The hardware isnt expensive IMO, but you will definitely need skill to install them all properly (which I am sure you have)
Old 04-23-2007, 12:04 PM
skoda450

boatnogo,
Try the Dumas on-line site. They have all you need. I agree that you will disaponted with the sub solution. It may not be able to control 20 lbs of boat. Come on, you put that much time into a model, a few more bucks and some time will really make it fun for the kids (and you!)

Dumas is at http://www.dumasestore.com/catalog/i...hp?cPath=39_79
Old 04-23-2007, 02:30 PM
boatnogo

Oh I totally dig the cordless drill idea. Ill look into what you guys have said, and I WILL skip the sub ideal. you're right, why totally half-ass it. Id rather make it cool.
Ill try that link you put in for Dumas Skoda450, thanks.
Low rpm, hight torque, got that too.

this could actually turn out to be pretty interesting getting this all together...

Ill keep ya posted.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:29 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

boatnogo: Where in Calif are you located?
Old 04-23-2007, 08:25 PM
ernest2

for the motors, johnson mini-ev i think is good and most of all low priced. http://www.robotcombat.com/marketplace_motorsmisc.html
you can buy graupner props (plastic), those costs a little too, thu i think theyre no more than 2" in diameter. you can make your own shaft and even the couplings if you have the resources.
please post pics.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:30 PM
codtongue

how about a trolling motor for a canoe? you could keep it at a single speed and change it manually, that would save you money on an
esc, you can cut the shaft on some of those and a small one, 16 pound trusts moves my 16 foot canoe pretty quick and I run it on a lawn tractor battery.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:56 PM
Rich404

The Dumas 12V Pittman motors would be a good idea for that set up.

Rich.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:56 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Thinking back, I ran my 56" DD on two 4.8 volt dumas motors for years.
Two 4,8v motors wired parallel, and run on a 6volt gelcell, and one ESC.

[8D][8D]
Old 04-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Captain Nemo12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: boatnogo
I figure for about 65 to 80 bucks, i could get a pretty good size sub.
ummm...... no.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:35 PM
Flabum

Ahhhhhh.... just forget about a speed controlled motor, wire a nice slow motor and just remote the steering. You could also put a cheapo rheostat on it to change the speed
Old 04-24-2007, 08:16 PM
jshander

Nice surplus store when I was visiting in California -All electronics in Van Nuys north of LA. They carry all kinds of surplus dc motors
Pittman are always the nicest. Look for low rpm high torque motors. I think they have a web page. They have a nice quarterly catalog for mail order.