Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Nikko Stinger II troubles...

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Nikko Stinger II troubles...

Old 04-22-2007, 05:23 PM
DonutCity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nikko Stinger II troubles...

Ok, I just bought a Nikko Stinger II and after returning the first one which apparently had a bad transmitter (no light or transmitted signal) I discovered today that my second attempt at using the Stinger has resulted in the discovery that the Stinger has a range of about two feet... Am I missing something here?? I know it's an entry level r/c boat, but shouldn't it work?? Does anybody have any insight or similar experiences with this particular model? Thanks in advance...

Sincerely,
Dead in the water...
Old 04-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Flabum

Default RE: Nikko Stinger II troubles...

That boat is more of a toy than an entry level boat. It is designed to have fun with and take some punishment at the same time. The radio is either a 27mhz or 49mhz and pretty much anything can interefere with it, so get rid of your cell phone and any other transciever device near it. Also look around where u are running it for CB'ers and big power lines.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:37 PM
saleens7

i had the stinger..i would say ditch it and get something better, like a reef racer II

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXMPG3**&P=7

or a hammer

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXMPE7**&P=7

or a tubrbo vee 3
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXKGP2**&P=7

those are entry level boats and all of wich can take their fair share of punishment....

with that stinger, there really isnt much you can do besides ditching the electrinics and buying a better esc, radio system, and batt, but that will usually end up spending more $ than buying one of the boats i listed....
Old 04-22-2007, 07:53 PM
DonutCity

Thanks for the insight - maybe the cell phone is messing with it...I'm just at the beggining of educating myself on this stuff (just what I need, a new hobby!!!) so I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions. Thanks again...
Old 04-22-2007, 08:09 PM
saleens7

everyone has to start somewhere (i did, with the same boat you started with).....

heres some friendly advise....if the boat is an NQD or uses "vector steering" (NQD's always use that) do NOT get the boat...a lot of people new to this hobby dont realize how low quality these boats are and end up spending $$$ on something that ends up costing more to maintain than it did to buy it...if your not sure about a boat you want to buy, ask on this forum if its any good, and give information about it and hopefully a link to it too....just informing you about this now so you dont have to find out the hard (expensive) way....
Old 04-22-2007, 08:42 PM
DonutCity

Thanks saleens7 - By the way, I tried the boat with cell phones off and it didn't make a difference...still no response unless I'm literally touching the antenna with the controller. Did the stinger you had actually work?? Is there any else I should look at??
Old 04-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Flabum

are you sure the batteries are fully charged?
Old 04-23-2007, 06:57 PM
DonutCity

Yea, batteries were fully charged. I returned the boat and picked up my third one today...Good news is that this one works!! It appears the first ones controller was bad and the second one had a faulty pc board?!?! Thanks a lot for all of the helpful input - I'm really impressed with the people on this site so far - so helpful... Unfortunately I believe this "toy" rc boat has wet my appetite for something faster already!!
Old 04-23-2007, 07:24 PM
saleens7

those cheap boat use a PC board that basically a receiver, speed control, and servo controler all in one....

you want somthing faster, get the aquacraft hammer.....
Old 04-23-2007, 07:59 PM
Flabum

or a proboat thundrcat 31 rtr