Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do make a decks cauking?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

How do make a decks cauking?

Old 04-28-2007, 07:27 AM
NJ Georgee
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do make a decks cauking?

When you see a deck and the planks have that white cauking between the planks,what do they use to give this affect?
Old 04-28-2007, 08:32 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How do make a decks cauking?

I've seen large decal sheets used in some kits, but I've also seen it done the hard way built up over a template individually with plastic strip and strip wood on cloth if I'm not mistaken.

There's also another method of using grooved sheeting and filler, but the outline still has to be done by using stripwood. Filling the wood without filling the surrounding grain around it would take masking when the filler is applied, then sanded, then masking removed.

You can find that type of wood here: [link=http://www.midwestproducts.com/catalog_sa1.asp?srch_grp_id=8&sa1_id=15&sa2_id=26]Midwest Products[/link]

It sounds like quite a bit of work with strip wood. I would personally fill the deck with varnish completely until it is smooth, then use pinstripe to mask and paint it, or cover the whole thing with masking, draw out your marks and use a flexable straight edge and a knife to cut the straight strips, and use a secondary free-hand masking for the curved sections.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Some of the people I know use a strip of additional material between the planks.

This can vary in thickness and materials. I have seen beige vinyl from venitian blinds cut into strips and sandwitched between the planks, thin sheet styrene, and colored paper used to create "caulking" lines.

[8D]
Old 04-29-2007, 07:03 PM
NJ Georgee

Thanks for your help,I guess theres no exsact method just what works best for it.
I think white plastic sounds good if I can find the right thickness in square strips.To make my own sounds like work.Mabey square balsa or bass wood strips painted white ,Then clear coat the whole deck. Well we shall try out.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

If you can find a hobby shop that carries Plastruct, or Evergreen styrene strips, your work should go smoothly.

The strips come in thicknesses from 0.010 up, and you can match the "width" of the styrene strip to your plank "thickness".
Then it is just a matter of laying them up nicely.

[8D]
Old 05-01-2007, 04:51 PM
NJ Georgee

Im always looking in plastruct,didnt dawn on me till you mentioned it.I can get perfect strips there. I can even get a small half circle of clear to make my compass guage.
The sale they have on tubes is cool too,I want to get some tubes and make smart bombs with a clear tip using those half circle lenses. But a thats the place to get plastic strips for sure ,Thanks. I wounder if a decal was used on the boat im working on?
Im going to do the interior floor with a plank scheme. I got some 1/5 airplane gauges to do up a new dash for it but most of them are to large and I dont like J Tech ones for this job. Any idea where I can get quality bezels in 1/12 or 1/6 size. Mabey i should just redo the ones on the boat.They arnt very clear.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:05 PM
NJ Georgee

This is the boat
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66643.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	676088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85363.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	676089  
Old 05-01-2007, 05:37 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plastic scale modeler's resources are you'r best bet on gauge faces, lenses and bezels, however most are designed for 1/24th to 1/25th scale - but there are some 1/12th scale stuff out there.

Most are designed as printed stock with all the gauges on one sheet, then a photo-etched bezel gets placed on top of that, and then either filled with epoxy or resin to duplicate the lens.

I added a link to Model Car Garage. If your good on a computer you could copy the images and re-size them with Paintbrush, and then use your printer to make your own.

http://www.modelcargarage.com/store/...=1&iPageSize=5

http://www.detailmaster.com/

They might not be that clear, but it's an idea.

The way some model car guys do it is finding brass tubing and a piece of clear round stock that fits good inside it, and gluing the gauge face to the end of the clear rod, then gluing that inside the brass tubing. Then that assembly gets glued into a hole just above flush, and a small light put inside the back of the tube to light it up. Epoxy or resin gets used also in that application for a lens, and can be sanded flat, or rounded and polished.

You end up having a lighted dial inside a brass ring for a gauge.

You can also find clear decal film to print your own decals on, but there's a problem with white decals....printers dont print white. They make white decal film for that, but if your trying to do pinstripes it would not be the best approach. The decals would best to be printed with white ink onto clear using a silk screen method - pretty involved.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46544.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	676112