Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Engine Problem???????

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Engine Problem???????

Old 05-02-2007, 12:40 PM
2fst4u2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Problem???????

I have a 1/12 scale Miss Budweiser hydroplane made by pro boat. I had it out last week and tried it in the water for the first time this year and it made it to the middle of the lake really slugish then quits. Took over an hour before the wind took it back to shore. After waiting for an hour I called it quits. Few days later I tried the second attept but this time trying to tweak it so that it runs and idles nicely, and the same thing died in the middle. So today, I figure I put everything back to factory setting. 3 1/2 turns open for the High speed (seems to be alot but thats what the manual says) and 2 1/2 for idle needle. I noticed that it floods really easy with this setting. If the motor did not start on the 3rd or 4th pull then she floods.Played around with it today for over 3 hours and still wont run properly. It runs on land really well with high revs and good idle. As soon as I drop it in the water it quits. I tried everything. Also set the idle a little higher so when I drop it in the water it wouldnt quit. Made it out to about 12 feet and quits. Got it running for maybe 30 seconds but it doesnt seem to want to go. I normally drive r/c trucks and car so I am not new to this hobby in that respect. I also have a Traxxas Nitro Vee boat and she runs perfect. Never needs any adjustment in any weather. Just start and go. Need your help!!
Old 05-02-2007, 07:34 PM
rcBPman04

Default RE: Engine Problem???????

Ok how are you launching this boat because it needs a good launch to get up on plane not like your nitro V that you can drop in the water and there it goes. What plug are you using. Have you changed the plug at all. From the factory setting bring the high speed needle to 3 and 1/4 turns open so that it will not flood as quickly. Recomend some os #8 plugs for that motor. Do not go and changed the low speed needle because its not going to do anything untill the motor is broken in. My other sugjestion would be to get a raft or some way of getting your boat when it dies. Nitro and water in a sence does not mix when your breaking in a motor. You need a way to retreve it faster than waiting for it.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:25 PM
2fst4u2

Thanks for the infomation. I didnt know we had to launch these boats. How would I launch the boat? I would think it is difficult to do is it not? I put in a brand new glow plug since the last time I used it. I was using the Nitro Vee to push the boat back to shore, that seemed to work fine. A raft would be a better idea though.
ORIGINAL: rcBPman04

Ok how are you launching this boat because it needs a good launch to get up on plane not like your nitro V that you can drop in the water and there it goes. What plug are you using. Have you changed the plug at all. From the factory setting bring the high speed needle to 3 and 1/4 turns open so that it will not flood as quickly. Recomend some os #8 plugs for that motor. Do not go and changed the low speed needle because its not going to do anything untill the motor is broken in. My other sugjestion would be to get a raft or some way of getting your boat when it dies. Nitro and water in a sence does not mix when your breaking in a motor. You need a way to retreve it faster than waiting for it.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:33 PM
rcBPman04

Ok how to launch is not that hard.......Rev the motor up and down while you are walking down to the water. This helps to get the motor hot because these motors like heat because of the shape of the motor head. It needs heat so it will expand so the piston will go up and down better. Now during the launch rev the motor up and right as you hear that high pitch noise slightly back off and once it hits the water pin it.
OK for the LAUNCH
the concept is like throwing an under hand pitch but more level to the water with your hand on the top of the hull or the outside. Basicaly you want to try to get the boat as level to the water as possible and under hand it some what fast into the water. This will make it get up on plane alot faster. Just remember launch during your last rev then once its in the water floor it out.

Here is a link to a video of what you are probibly seeing.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFsQLyTc59s

Here is a hydro with a pritty good launch... http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...rc+hydro&hl=en

If you search the internet and joing some photo pages you can look at videos. www.rcflix.com is a good one
Old 05-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been explained hundreds of times and I'll say it again. You cannot set the needle with the boat out of the water. The engine responds differently when it's not under load. You are running the engine to lean if it runs well on the shore and quits in the water. Don't mess with the idle needle. Leave it set where the manual suggests it should be. Richen the high speed needle in successive 1/8 turns and once the engine keeps running under load (in the water), fine tune from there.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:54 AM
rcBPman04

You still should not be turning the highspeed becuase your motor is not broken in yet. Try getting it to run at 3 1/4 turns open before leaning it out. I'm positive that its how you are launching your boat that there is alot of load on the prop so the motor just dies.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:01 AM
2fst4u2

You guys are right, it was how I was launching it. I got it running awsome today. Correct me if I am wrong, these boats must be constantly moving in the water right? I noticed when I tried to slow down in the water to let it idle, the engine would shut off. My guess is that there no clutch system in it like the nitro Vee so then it puts alot of drag on the motor causing it to stall. Im soo glad to get the boat going, it was sweet. Another thing I noticed is that my hull is starting to Crack. Typical Fiberglass!!!!!
Old 05-05-2007, 12:56 PM
rcBPman04

yea there is no clutch in these nitro motors so normaly a little under half thottle is the slowest you can go and a hydro needs that air under the hull to get it on plane so normal they run at full tilt. Good luck with it and i'm glad that you got it running. Just break in that motor and you will see how crazy that little thing is.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 125 Likes on 119 Posts

If the hull is cracking around the engine mounts, it's the way you have been starting it. If you are holding the hull down, all the stress is on the engine mounts. Try holding down on the engine when you pull the cord. That will take most of the stress off of the hull. You need to remember that these boats are very lightly laid up and won't take a lot of abuse.