Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Ballast

Old 05-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Jonjoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ballast

Hi all
Ime having a bit ov a problem ballasting my sydney star container ship what could i use apart from the lead strips ive thought of lead shot is this possable?
And any ideas would be great!!
Thanks
Jonjoe
Old 05-06-2007, 05:16 PM
LtDoc

Default RE: Ballast

Sure, lead in almost any form can be used. So can bricks (don't laugh, it works).
- 'Doc

PS - Putting that lead shot in a plastic bag works very well! Especially if you have to take it out later. Mix a little epoxy with the 'shot', mush it around a bit, then form-fit the bag of glued shot to where it needs to go in the hull. Sure beats trying to 'chip' glued shot out latter...
Old 05-07-2007, 06:29 AM
Jonjoe

Hi there
Thanks for the help but how would i get the shot level in the ship and how would you epoxy the leadshot down? would you epoxy it to the bag and then the bag to the ship?
Thanks again
Jonjoe
Old 05-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Eplane1

Jon
You can use lead shot or even BB's. When you put the shot or BB's in the bag with a little Epoxy you mix it up and lay the bag in the hull where needed and shape to fit. You can epoxy the bag down or even use double sided tape. If you dont use a bag you can just puor the BB's in with epoxy on them and let them sit in hull and harden in place. All depends if you want the weight removable or not. Hope this helps. I use the bag method on my boats. Usually cut the bag down before putting it in hull to get rid of the excess plastic.
Steve
Old 05-07-2007, 08:03 AM
LtDoc

Jonjoe,
Put the shot into a plastic bag. Squirt in some epoxy. seal bag. Before the epoxy sets, fit the bag to where it goes in the hull. 'Mush', mash, squeeze around on the bag until it fit's and looks 'right' (level out the shot). Now, leave it alone till it sets up. The idea for the plastic bag is to make the ballast removable. If you want to 'tack' it to the hull to keep it from moving around, nothing wrong with that, just don't over do it or it won't be removable anymore. How do you make sure things are in the 'right' place/shape? Bathroom, bathtub, deep enough water to float your boat, mess with it till it's right. (Also, put up with all the gripping/@#$%#[email protected] while you tie up the bathroom.) What do you say when someone asks why you did it ~that~ way? You say it's a secret and that they should not disclose what they have seen in your boat. Your reputation will either soar or bottom out. As long as it works, who cares?
Epoxy does work. So will any other glue that doesn't set immediately, and/or that doesn't 'eat' plastic... or lead.
- 'Doc

Oops! Sorry Steve, you just beat me.