Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Salt????

Old 05-13-2007, 12:32 AM
-TiVa-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salt????

Hello all Im new to boating. Been in cars for like 6+ years. My giirlfriend has a house in navare beach Fl. problem is..... My LHS says to "NEVER RUN A RC BOAT IN SALT WATER!!!" Is this true? Or are only some boats excluded from salt like say electric. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:54 AM
crazy maxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Salt????

i run my nitro and electric in salt water all the time. it says not to but u can. just after every salt water run flush out the system with fresh water to prevent corosion.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:36 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of model boaters worldwide run their models in salt water. Some model boaters have no choice other than salt water.

Yes, just clean it well with fresh water after running it.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:53 AM
-TiVa-

K thanks guys. My heart freakin broke when THS said that hehe Anyways thanks again!
Old 05-13-2007, 03:26 AM
stempak

if you have a steal tuned pipe you have to really wash it well!
Old 05-13-2007, 08:30 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Sometimes , asking someone at a LHS is like going to your BEST BUY , going into the computer section , and asking which computer would be best for you and WHY . . ( I , myself , LOVE doing this and insulting them "sales clerks" with questions , that they have NO knowledable answers to .... )
Old 05-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Flabum

You'll need some corrosion block, crc 656 and a flushing setup for the engine. IMHO, just running water through the cooling system isn't enough, I prefer to run the engine and let it get to tep with the fresh water running through it. You can get stuff at the local Home Depot or Lowes. Get a garden hose adapter for an ice maher and some 1/8" hose. Take the pickup hose off at the water picup and using a piece of 1/8" brass tube hook up the fresh water flush and run the engine for 5 - 10 mins on the frsh water. The reason being is this: when you run the boat in salt water, the salt and minerals are in the engine, when you shut the engine off and drain it, the salt and minerals are still in the engine baking themselves to the inside of the engine. By running the engine back up to temp on the garden hose, you will loosen the salt and minerals.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:29 PM
wave waker

i know salt is bad to the heart but not to the boat,just run it and do the proper after run maintenace and ur fine.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 05-14-2007, 02:53 PM
rickburnout666

I have to run my boats gas, nitro, and electric in a salt water canal, or spend half a day traveling to a fresh water pond. After use, all i do is give them a good strip down, and clean everything, and then grease and oil all the parts that need it, just as i do on when they get used on the freshwater lakes and ponds. Salt is only a problem if you dont lookafter your boats, but its great on chips/fries