Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

servos

Old 05-13-2007, 11:14 PM
ftw1422

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servos

what are the best type of servos to use in rc boating.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:21 AM
LtDoc

Default RE: servos

ftw1422,
There are no 'best' servos to use in R/C boating. The only 'best' is that a particular servo does what it's supposed to do, doesn't weigh a ton, doesn't require huge amounts of current, and doesn't cost a fortune, determined by the particular boat you have. It's 'best' to use a servo of adequate 'size' and there are four very broad categories of size, 'miniature', 'standard', 'large', and 'humongus'. They get stronger as they increase in size. If it fits into the space available, and supplies the required pulling/pushing power, and doesn't require a trip to the bank to buy it, it's the right size. Servos are more or less all made alike. The biggest differences between manufacturers is the name put on the case and the cost. Servos also come as either 'analog' or 'digital' in nature. 'Digital' servos tend to be more 'accurate'. To my knowledge, accuracy in the fractions of a degree of rotation are just not required in most applications. In some, sure, but they just aren't that 'common' at all. 'Digital' servos are more costly than 'analog' servos. Do I make things sound like it's more a 'cost' related thingy instead of 'quality' related? I probably do, but I also think that's a fairly 'universal' thing, isn't it?
- 'Doc
Old 05-14-2007, 08:48 AM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

'Digital' servos tend to be more 'accurate
Digitals will hold more when being stressed to the limits , whereas , analog tend to back off a bit .

And , try and go with servos made with a NAME brand behind 'em ...
IE - there is a seller from Hong Kong , who sells , ( what he claims ) to be 160 ounce torque - but actually seem about the same strength as standard 40 ouncers )) servos in pairs ... they do NOT come close to those claims ( which I also found to be true to a LOT of weird named servos )
Try sticking to servos , like Futaba , Hitec , Cirrus , and like I said .... name brands
Old 05-14-2007, 01:19 PM
ftw1422

well heres is what i have. i have a 70 inch shark marine deep vee boat with a cmb .90 engine and the servos that are in it now are garbage. they have the arm that rotates. now i have seen servos with the wheel on the top and a couple of other styles and i wasnt sure which on would work better for me.