Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Stuffing tube lube nipples...

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Stuffing tube lube nipples...

Old 05-16-2007, 08:42 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuffing tube lube nipples...

Guys...

I've just gotten around to refurbishing my Dumas 'American Enterprise' hull, and found at least 6 layers of paint and two of waterproofing before I got to the wooden hull. Still have to get the last off, and may loose the waterline splash rails in the 'stripping' process.

Now I get to the hard part, working on the stuffing tubes. I do not know if they are bushed or bearing'd, but one of the former owners had installed grease nipples on the tubes. Now somewhere in its lifetime, one of the nipples got busted off flush with the stuffing tube, and I cannot find a 'bolt'on replacement. (can post pics if it helps)

I could in theory buy new nipples and the brass tubing to neck it down to the tubes that house the shafts (the prop thread is 4mm) but I'd have to crack the shafts loose from the hull. I was thinking of getting a hunk of brass drilled to slip over the tube, and drilled to accept the nipple, and fast-solder it ( or even J-B it) to the tubes. The external tube struts also need to be re-attached, either soldered or JB'd to the stuffing boxes.

I swear I saw someone selling a slip-on/bolt-on lube nipple (Graupner or Robbe perhaps?) but can't find it. Anyone able to assist? I ask as the bolt-ons may hemp me when I get to buying shafts for my Dumas PT 109 kit.

WhiteWolf McBride

(sorely tempted to pull the tubes and put in a pair of waterjet units)

Old 05-17-2007, 05:50 AM
Pushrod02
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Stuffing tube lube nipples...

Maybe you can use these. [link=http://www.mastonsrcmarine.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page77.html]Shaft Oiler[/link]
Old 05-17-2007, 10:23 AM
pompebled

Hi WhiteWolf McBride,

If you have access to at least half the diameter of the stuffing tube, you could make your own out of brass tube.

The pictures show a lube tube on the propshaft in my fast electric; a half pipe, fitting around the stuffing tube has a 4mm brass tube soldered onto it, the 4mm tube is drilled through and the whole thing is glued with epoxy onto the stuffing tube.
A plastic cap keeps the grease in.

Regards, Jan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99505.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	686208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80746.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	686209  
Old 05-17-2007, 01:23 PM
LtDoc

WhiteWolf McBride,
Guess it just depends on how sophisticated you want it to look, but the 'KISS' principle is a very nice one to go by. 'Getting to' the @#$ thing will be harder than the 'doing it'.
- 'Doc
Old 05-18-2007, 12:57 AM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Nice idea Jan!

I never thought of mounting the 'nipple' on a pre-curved mounting. You could even sealed it to the stuffing tube with a lead gasket and zip-tied it instead of epoxy (thats what JB Weld is, an epoxy for metals)

Pushrod02:

Those Maston units look nice too, much better than the ones I found on eBay(out of Thailand) Gotta e-mail 'em to see what the unit is designed to be fit to (that fitting curve is shallow!) I may try the cheap method first, and if it doesn't work, go with the Maston units (or just buy 'em when I get better funding)

Thanks guys.