Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

good 1st RTR boat?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

good 1st RTR boat?

Old 05-26-2007, 02:59 PM
nitro_hydro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good 1st RTR boat?

I'm looking for suggestions for a good first RTR RC boat...
should I go electric or nitro? positives and negatives of each?
what kind of maintenance do they require?

what kinds of things should I look for when buying my first RTR RC boat?

thanks for any guidance!
Old 05-26-2007, 03:19 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: good 1st RTR boat?

From the screen name you've chosen, the choice is obvious, a nitro hydro. Moving past that, what are you going to do with it? Do you plan to race? If so, it's important to see what other people in the area are running. I run mostly nitro, but I suspect the maintenance on electrics is more simple. However, when I'm done with a run, I can just add fuel and go again. With an electric, you either need a spare battery pack or you have to wait to recharge.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:33 PM
nitro_hydro

thanks for the reply!
no racing...just for fun

is it true the 1/12 nitro hydro's are hard to set up, dial in and drive?
[X(]
Old 05-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Beerbroker3

This is just a personal preference, but I have to say NITRO is the way to go. I just really love the different possibilities you have with adjusting Nitro engines. I am very bias though, all my boats and aircraft are Nitro, but for me it is just more fun.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Believe It
Banned

what kind of water conditions will you typically be running in (ie flat water, slightly choppy, very wavey, etc.). What is your price range? Do you have ANY rc experience?
Old 05-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Beerbroker3

I still buy the Miss Vegas Nitro, granted I do a few upgrades but I think this boat is an absolute winner in its class, I have six of them painted differently and with different motors but they all have the attitude that I like in a hydro, I think it is a great boat and they handle choppy water decent, just remember to get the grim racer turn fin. For the money she cant be beat.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:50 PM
Beerbroker3

This is just me personal experience though, others may disagree, but I have not been let down by this boat. She is an absolute winner, in my book. The miss Elam, Miss Bud, and others dont hold a candle to her handling, but as I said it is just my experience. I am only a hobbiest, I only race for six packs and bbq,s.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:20 PM
nitro_hydro

I have a T-Maxx nitro truck...that's about it for my RC experience!
I will typically be running in flat water, maybe a bit choppy...
my price range is $300-$400 to start

why is the miss vegas far more superior than the miss bud?

thanks for the info!
Old 05-27-2007, 09:18 AM
Beerbroker3

As I mentioned before, this is my personal experience. Out of the box Miss Vegas is just built better, runs better, and is much more symetrical. A friend of mine bought Ms Bud, we took them both to the lake and Miss Bud just didnt seem to have the handling of my boat. My friend spent more time adjusting than he did on the water. I am very partial to Miss Vegas, for the money she cant be beat. I have had no regrets from my boats, with the exception of letting my wife pilot one, that she managed to crash into the bank. Let me just say that this is a quick boat, get a feel for it before you open her up. Money wise, Tower hobbies has the Miss Vegas RTR with a .18 engine, ready to go for 284.97, all I would suggest is getting a Turn Fin, they carry this, its a Grim Racer turn fin for 16.99, it really helps in turning at high speed. Also I run 50% Nitro fuel. As far as water conditions, a little choppy will have no impact on this boat. If you go to Tower Hobbies web site or aquacraft's site you can watch videos of the boat and also read the owner/instruction manual. I really believe aquacraft makes some of the best RC boats on the market, check em out. I am not sure if I have helped but good luck.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:25 AM
nitro_hydro

ORIGINAL: Beerbroker3

As I mentioned before, this is my personal experience. Out of the box Miss Vegas is just built better, runs better, and is much more symetrical. A friend of mine bought Ms Bud, we took them both to the lake and Miss Bud just didnt seem to have the handling of my boat. My friend spent more time adjusting than he did on the water. I am very partial to Miss Vegas, for the money she cant be beat. I have had no regrets from my boats, with the exception of letting my wife pilot one, that she managed to crash into the bank. Let me just say that this is a quick boat, get a feel for it before you open her up. Money wise, Tower hobbies has the Miss Vegas RTR with a .18 engine, ready to go for 284.97, all I would suggest is getting a Turn Fin, they carry this, its a Grim Racer turn fin for 16.99, it really helps in turning at high speed. Also I run 50% Nitro fuel. As far as water conditions, a little choppy will have no impact on this boat. If you go to Tower Hobbies web site or aquacraft's site you can watch videos of the boat and also read the owner/instruction manual. I really believe aquacraft makes some of the best RC boats on the market, check em out. I am not sure if I have helped but good luck.
big help, good info...thanks!
now, which color miss vegas....hmmm