Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

question about flex shaft at strut bearing?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

question about flex shaft at strut bearing?

Old 05-26-2007, 07:33 PM
darrentpi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about flex shaft at strut bearing?

Hi I am wondering, if there is a solution for bearing wear. As we all no the flex shaft has to be extended more than 1/4 inch past the strut to compensate twist take up, but what I an noticing, is the portion extended out, is free of oil during a days run, and as it goes in and out, during torque operation when boat is running, the shaft draws water in, or pulls oil out, and that portion of shaft, becomes high friction point. you can really see the brass build up at that point on the shaft.
Is this something not to worry about. I was thinking of sleeving that portion, with silicone rubber tubing or something, which can allow the shaft to pull in and out, retaining the grease.
No ! yes! no! what do you think?
DA
Old 05-27-2007, 08:14 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: question about flex shaft at strut bearing?

DA, the extension of the drive dog past the rear of the strut is dependent on the flex diameter. I typically use the flex diameter for the gap between the drive dog and the strut. I use Mercury 2-4-C to grease my shafts and usually goop up the strut ID pretty good. You may want to check your prop balance if you're getting that much wear to be able to see brass transfer on the shaft. Also, is the strut bearing the full length of the strut or is there an individual bearing at each end of the strut. Support of the shaft over the length of the strut will help eliminate wobble also.