Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Speed 600\ESC\Cavitating problem!!

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Speed 600\ESC\Cavitating problem!!

Old 05-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Mepete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed 600\ESC\Cavitating problem!!

hehe...well, here goes nothing.

Me and my friends decided to build a boat from scratch, we were heavily involved in nitro\electric cars so we have good background with the electronics etc......but we had no prior knowledge whatsoever of boats...i mean, never drove one, never owned one, barely saw one at the LHS...well, i did touch it...even though there was a "Do not touch" sign (im a rebel...) a year later... done... testing time.

It has a Direct drive Speed 600\Proboat ESC (the blue aluminum one)\P2L futuba radio....And all juiced by dual 7.2v batteries

What size prop should i use?? any clues??

When i went to the LHS, they gave me one that "Should" would, but when i drive its good at half speed, but when i grab throttle, it just picks up air and slows down... i adjusted the angle of the prop shaft and it still does it....i think i need a bigger prop.. any clues??

And did anyone ever run 14.2 volts on that motor and that ESC>>?? i dont think its recommended

Boat link................long time ago...lots of outdated info...(http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_39..._1/key_/tm.htm)
Old 05-29-2007, 06:56 PM
saleens7

Default RE: Speed 600\ESC\Cavitating problem!!

i think a speed 600 is meant for 6 cells, not 12...

if youwant to use 12 cells i would suggest you use the super vee 27 BL system

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...d=dh-blcomboaq

what confuses me is your using the proboat esc on 12 cells, but the esc is rated fro up to only 10 cells..

if your running them in parallel, then thats ok...

but if you are running them in parallel, then you probably have it underpropped...what size prop are you using? when you bring it in from a run, is the motor hot? if it isnt, you can use a bigger prop...

the supervee setup might be too much for your boat....i read the thread, and it seems to be a very light boat...much lighter than the SV, and it will do 35+ mph...with your boat, it might just go too fast that it will be out of control...
Old 05-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Flabum

ORIGINAL: Mepete

When i went to the LHS, they gave me one that "Should" would, but when i drive its good at half speed, but when i grab throttle, it just picks up air and slows down... i adjusted the angle of the prop shaft and it still does it....i think i need a bigger prop.. any clues??

Try lowering the strut to get rid of the ventilating. The angle will dictate the attitude of the boat.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:37 AM
pompebled

Hi Mepete,

How big is your hull?
What 'this should work' prop, did the LHS supply?

Normally, a 600 motor on 6 cells is a rather tame set-up, seven cells would be better.
The prop we use on a 7 cell set-up is a Graupner 37,5K two bladed hydroprop.

Could you post some pics of the boat, seen from the side, so we can see the propshaft angle?

Regards, Jan.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:01 PM
Mepete

Sure!..it may be like..3-4 days...thanks for all the help so far!...

Yeah, the motor\esc situation is sketchy.....the motor can handle...8.2V...and i think it is going 14.4V.... and i think the whole setup is too heavy for the boat, it sits low.
The esc can handle 10Volts, but the LHS said they run them 14.4 all the time without a problem...? has anyone here done this?? has is fried??