Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Drive mechanism for an oar powered boat

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Drive mechanism for an oar powered boat

Old 06-01-2007, 06:02 PM
DocJones199

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive mechanism for an oar powered boat

I have been working on this viking boat for about a year now. I think I have the drive figured out. As for the radio, I was planning on using a Futaba dual stick radio with two speed controls, one for each bank of oars. I am hoping that the drive will be similar to the control on a set of tank tracks. The hull is planked and covered with fiberglass and gelcoat. Here are some pics of my project. I don't have any specific questions but I could some general input as this type of RC boat is way off the usual deep vee nitro stuff that I run.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77771.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	695562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73429.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	695563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35085.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	695564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw63152.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	695565  
Old 06-01-2007, 07:45 PM
TERBObob
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Drive mechanism for an oar powered boat

Very nice build so far ...
Nice thought on the drive for the oars ... but kinda wondering if you shouldn't have geared down it a little more ?
Old 06-01-2007, 09:58 PM
DONS BOAT WORKS
My Feedback: (3)

Good looking drive system.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:00 PM
HSOK

Looks awsome. Like the idea of actually using the oars for the drive, rather than just for the look.

Don't think you'll have too much trouble running it the way you planned. You might end up needing a small rudder if the oars don't have enough power to turn on their own. Maybe buy a 4 channel setup off the start in case you need that extra channel later on. Shouldn't cost too much extra, and it'd be a shame if your beautiful boat didn't work the way you wanted to.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Jhoyoza

Awesome!

I wonder if this inexpensive motor controller would be helpful to you if speed control is an issue? I built one, for a different application, and it works great.

[link]http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/MSC-6/search/MOTOR_SPEED_CONTROL_KIT_W_MOTOR_.html[/link]

-J
Old 06-03-2007, 09:28 PM
green-boat

You have done well on your drive set-up. For an oar drive you've got the gist of it. Looks like you are using Buhler motors, what RPM and volt are they.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:40 PM
DocJones199

I bought the motors through allelectronics. They are gear reduction motors that run on 6 to 24 volts (I believe). I am using a 16 tooth gear on the motor and an 81 tooth gear on the drive pully. When I did the math at full boar I should get about 55 oar strokes per minute. A little more fine tuning and I should be ready to paddle away. I like the idea of four channels, just in case I need a rudder. I also entertained the idea of having two small drive motors turning standard propellers that would be linked to each individual speed control. I thought it may be an option if oar drive alone doesn't cut it. I should be doing a water test in a a few weeks. I will post some pics. Thank you all for your input!