Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

scale size

Old 06-04-2007, 09:08 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scale size

hi guys
i am i am almost done with my pt boat going to paint it soon i hope been busy found this on e-bay it going to be my next winter project but i want it to go from 32" 1/12 scale to 45 or 48 " what scale would that be?, and do you think the grauper drivejets in 700 that they say will work on the new sizes thank rye

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
Old 06-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Quicksilver1

Default RE: scale size

simple proportions 45" = approx. 1/9 scale or 1/8.5
48"= exactly 1/8 scale
well, if you went to 48" I think you might as well, up the jet drives from the ones I use(29mm). I would use the one at the bottom of the page of hobbylobby's jet drives, model number JM1001. I believe if memory serves correct, someone made a 48" PBR with these units. Here's the catch you'll need serious motors, if you want to go electric, like some big hackers. Personally I'd go gas and use twin zens, however this will cost quite a bit, you could also go the nitro route, but I dont think any brushed motor can turn 40mm impellers.

If you used the smaller units like mine, it may look out of scale. The 29mm units are meant for boat up to 30," on the 32" PBR they suggest, twin 700's on 29mm drives would move it pretty nicely. here's the bottom line the jet pump must put out more thrust in kilo's then the boat weighs. I was looking this up yesterday actually and a 29mm drive can move a boat up to 7 pounds. Mind you not lightning fast at 7 pounds. So twins could potentially move a boat weighing around 14 pounds. I would say more like 10 pounds, but none the less take this into consideration.

Sorry for the string of thoughts. You could shoot for 40" and use the 29mm drives with a better motor, like twin 700sc's. That would probably work well. That would make approx. 1/10 scale.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:57 PM
rye

hi
thanks for the information but i have to go eletric the pond i am at only allows that , now my 5"pt boat has two 900xxl viper and a 12 volt gel cell havent ran it yet in the pond but sounds fast on the table, could i use these with that jet drive you said from hobby lobby? ,here the web page any ideas on batterys i dont want to use a gel cell for this one two but dont want to spend 2 or 3 hundred dollars for pol batterys so thanks again rye
http://206.206.85.209/xtdoc/Details....w&store=mhzusa
Old 06-05-2007, 10:57 PM
ernest2

try looking at kmb website, they sell big electric boats and jetdrives so maybe you can find some ideas about the drives you'll use.
http://www.jet-drive.de/vg_server/cu...bau&language=0

but if it's me, i'll use regular boat props and maybe 2 - 3 big motors that costs less than mhz's.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:25 PM
rye

hi guys
thanks for the help ,i am going to size it to 40" or 1/10 so i can use the jet drive you said to us for the 700, but what dose the sc stand for thanks rye
Old 06-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Quicksilver1

I believe super charged, but really, it's a 700bb 12v with extra magnets for more torque, basically making it an 800size in a 700can. Also can up be and should be upgraded to the optional brush cooling.

You might actually want to wait and see how my feigao 12L does. Should know by sunday I figure. It's about the same KV as the 700sc, but a bit lighter and who knows what else till I get the controller for it.

I would say the 900xxl would handle the big graupner drive. Whatever you do, dont buy the MHZ pump. I do recommend the KMB drives, however shipping is expensive and still cant really get parts like the graupner drives. But the graupner drives are sold domestically, so if you need to replace the unit, it would be significantly cheaper.

Also from my experience with both the KMB and the graupner drives of the same size, performance wise they seem pretty much equal. The KMB drives look like they should work better, but it has yet to prove it to me. I actually took the KMB impeller out and put it in my graupner drive. Still as yet untested.... [&o] for obvious reasons.

The KMB impeller was actually glue to the shaft, which I dont like. I heated the shaft with a torch and carefully removed it. Then epoxied it to an old villain shaft, cut it to length and installed in the graupner drive. The graupner impellers screw on. btw anyone who needs this link-----for the graupner impeller 28mm only.
http://www.funrcboats.com/ProductInf...uctid=GR2344.2
Old 06-07-2007, 08:18 PM
rye

hi
ok i change the size to 40" -1/10 scale and going to get two jet drives with 700 motors in 12 volt should i get the 700 tubros or high tork 720 they are both 12 volt they are at the bottom of the page in the link, and if im am running two i going to use a 12volt gel cell and this speed control thanks rye
http://www.modelcontrol.com/sc480.htm
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/speed700.htm
Old 06-08-2007, 11:10 AM
rye

hello
thanks for the help, this froum is great, still have some questions about the eletric part of rc boats but i guess i learn on the way and help from you guys rye
Old 06-18-2007, 09:21 PM
rye

hi guys
ok i scale up to 1/10 on the pbr 40" now i have 1/16 scale rc tanks and it has a 50 cal machine gun in 1/16 scale now to scale up to 1/10- 50 cal machine guns that would be 60% or 160% of the 1/16 scale right? thanks rye
Old 06-18-2007, 10:01 PM
ernest2

rye, 1/10 is bigger scale so so have to scale up 1.6x, so yes its 160%. post some pics on your build.