Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to prep a hull for paint?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

How to prep a hull for paint?

Old 06-06-2007, 07:28 PM
JIngalls007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to prep a hull for paint?

I just bought a Conquest Cat from AM. There are a few rough edges that need sanding, and I want to prep the Hull for paint as well. Is Spray Paint ok for this application and do I need to sand all areas of the boat that I will paint, so the paint cures properly? What's the step by step process, start to finish as I have never done this before, thx..
Old 06-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Flabum

Default RE: How to prep a hull for paint?

Ok, first you need to know that sanding does noting for curing, but makes the paint actually stick to the gelcoat. Ant smooth surface is a bad place for paint to hold onto. Rough edges should be sanded smooth with 120 - 220 paper. after you have all the rough areas sanded, go over the whole boat (or area that you are going to paint) with 320 paper.

The paint you choose is dependant on how long you want it to last. Hardware store paints like Rustoleum will not last long, nor will most hooby paints. Better paints such as Imron, automotive 2-packs or Awlgrip will last far longer and are more scratch resistant. These paint require a HVLP spray gun and small compressor. You can get what you need (spray equipment) at sears for about $300. A primer will be needed for any paint to stick well and a clear coat is recommended if you do any airbrush ot decal work. With professional paint, you will spend about $100 in materials and paint plus $300 in tools. A spray bomb job (spray cans) will cost you about $30 - $40. You get what you pay for.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:23 PM
conrodss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would suggest sand the whole boat with 320 wet and dry automotive sandpaper , then hifill/prime with a 2 pack primer/filler , then sand with 800 wet and dry sandpaper , then apply your top coat , either solid or a clear over base metallic , use automotive paints , but make sure you use safety gear , i.e GOOD breatheing masks , gloves , eye protection , as it is nasty stuff
Old 06-07-2007, 10:21 AM
JIngalls007

Thank you Both!