Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

***2008 World Outboard Tunnel Championships***

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

***2008 World Outboard Tunnel Championships***

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 07:03 AM
topfuel4430

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***2008 World Outboard Tunnel Championships***

Hi guys, Charleston Model Boaters wanted to get this out as early as possible. We know its a little early in the game, but wanted to give our overseas (and cross country) travelers time to make plans for this race. This is the OFFICIAL thread for the 2008 World Outboard Tunnel Championships

The dates for this race are March 22nd & 23rd 2008

We do not have the flyer/entry completed yet, as we are still trying to determine the classes offered, as well as many other items, but rest assured, we will have a place for everyone of all experience, and all sizes of boats.

This race will be held at our new location located on Johns Island, South Carolina. This address can be used to get to the lake, it is located at the end of the road:

1673 Fernhill Road
Johns Island, SC 29455

This new location is about 15 minutes right outside of the larger city of Charleston, South Carolina. Very good opportunity to bring the family along for sightseeing, historical spots, shopping and great beaches. We will update you guys as time gets closer about hotel/lodging info.

Here is a link to google maps for an aerial shot of the end of the lake we are using. http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&om=1&a....004828&t=h

I have talked with people from all over the world who are making tenative plans, Sweden, Germany, Netherlands, Australia, Canada, and from all reaches of the US. Dont miss this race, it will be nothing short of amazing.

I, as a Charleston Model Boaters member, have been elected the Point of Contact for the 2008 World Outboard
Tunnel Championships. Please contact me with any questions, concerns, complaints, or suggestions regarding
next years race. My contact info is as follows:

[email protected] (this is the best way to contact me)

(US phone number) 803-233-4691 (6am-4pm E.S.T. only PLEASE!)

(European Number) +49-6385-425-398

(US address)
James Clegg
PSC 2 Box 12548
APO, AE 09012

Please also keep checking on http://www.worldtunnelchamps.com/ for updates concerning the race.

A race recap from the June 2007 IMPBA Roostertail can be found here:
http://www.impba.net/showtails.php

Thanks for the interest and support, Charleston Model Boaters, via James Clegg
Old 06-07-2007, 09:01 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: ***2008 World Outboard Tunnel Championships***

James, it's a little soon for me to pin this thread as usually we are letting them be pinned a few months before the race as the Admin's don't like us clogging the top of the forums with events and we are limited to about 2 or 3 of them per forum.
If you haven't done so, add it to the Events Calendar. There is a link at the bottom of the page.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:49 PM
ob nut

James, you know I'll be there again... Appears this is a new lake than the one ran at the previous three??

Can't wait!!!!!
Old 06-09-2007, 01:14 AM
topfuel4430

Hi Mark, yes the lake is a completely new one. The old one was kind of out in the middle of nowhere ville. This lake is MUCH nicer, and can easily be used for SAW, or even the Internats...

It is still out in the "country", but it is very close to the city of Charleston at about a 15-20 minute drive. You will like it!

~James

PS, The only thing that sucks about the 2008 Worlds is I want to run EVERY CLASS, and that is hard to do from Germany! See ya then.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:45 AM
vanman
My Feedback: (2)

You can bet that I will be there again next year,

To anyone that has not attended this race..... do it. There is no other race like it period. This year we had over 150 TUNNEL boats!!!!

Can't wait to get back down there and visit and race with everyone

Bill Van Kirk
His and Hers Hobbies
Old 07-13-2007, 03:30 AM
topfuel4430

Ok Guys, the Charleston Model Boaters has taken a vote and we all agree that the race dates have to change. The Easter weekend has caught us by suprise, and we feel this will have a large impact on turn out, understandably so.

The new dates for the 2008 World Tunnel Champs are: March 28th, 29th, and 30th.

This is one weekend later. We appologize for any inconvienences, but had to do what we felt was better for all. This will also allow our nothern folks to thaw out one more week and hopefully get some home practice time in before making the journey southward.

Thanks for your understanding! Charleston Model Boaters, via James Clegg

Old 07-13-2007, 05:04 PM
jetpack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why so early in the year? The northern half of the States is usually still all ice in march - Canada even later. Wouldn't it make more sense to have it near the end of the summer season for everyone near the fall of the year after they have had time running their boats and at a more central location? Seasonal advantage isn't all fair.

Not squalking but I guess if thats the only place and date that can support the event go for it, but I think a better turnout could happen with less of an early date. Being an international world wide event I guess the location isn't that much importance unless the majority of the contestants are all on this contenent - then a more central location would be lots easier on those driving and not flying.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:27 PM
topfuel4430

Hi Jetpack, the reason for the dates are because in our district its one of the free months without any other conflicts. Also, once the other district's seasons start racing in the northern, colder climates, as you mentioned, there is very little chance of guys leaving the respective districts to come to our race and take the chance of missing their own district champioship series. The guys up north have a very busy warm season for racing boats. The have a LOT of racing going on when the weather is warm enough to do so. This serves as a "kick off the racing season" race for a lot of guys.

The location is because this club is who came up with and supported this race for the last three years. It is not a "bid" type event such as the Internats. In the past we have had participants from all corners of the US come down, and obviously from all over the world. It is a world caliber event and travelling hasnt been an issue. If you race tunnels, you cant miss this race.

Do you run tunnels? Hope to see you there!

~James
Old 07-13-2007, 11:54 PM
jetpack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats a good explaination and a good set of points, I can understand more of it now.

I have been just knocking around with an ABS Sprint withe a stock K/B SS but this next summer I'll have a wood boat and my SS tricked out with some testing possibly by the end of this summer.

I really enjoy the tunnel because every slightest change can be felt with them, so it is helping me learn my props, tuning and trimming for this size of boat. I raced RC electric cars for a few years so my driving skills were already honed for it, and my RC building and flying along with APBA stock outboard racing exposure growing up as a teen gives rc boats a good blend for me to enjoy.

It would be a great event to attend, no doubt...and even more fun to enter. Living near the lower tip of Lake Michigan makes it a possibility for me to drive there if my time allows, and hopefully be all regestered and geared up for a heat or two.[sm=cool.gif]

I hope for everyone it will be an excellent event!
Old 07-15-2007, 04:13 AM
topfuel4430

Hi Jetpack, you are dead on about why tunnels are fun. They require you to have, and allow you to hone, the set-up skills neccesary for competition. Many people dont realize how tough it can be to set-up a tunnel for on the edge, but consistant performance.

Many guys from the northern reaches pile into a larger vehicle and trailer and come down together. It makes the expense much more bearable as well as the long trip a little more enjoyable. Something to consider.

You are most welcome to join us in the fun, we have guys attend and race here that have never raced a Tunnel, and we have multiple US1 and world record holders in the same respect. Its a lot of fun, and Charleston is a beautiful city with equally beautiful women on the beaches....

~James
Old 07-17-2007, 02:18 AM
ob nut

Jetpack, if you like racing tunnels, this is one race you don't want to miss. This years event had over 150 boats entered. This is no small event anymore. Certain that next years will be even larger. Mike Locke came down from Canada to Ky, he and I then drove to SC for the race weekend. Yes, Canada, he left home with 4" of snow on the ground and ended up wearing shorts and a T-shirt during the race. I understand it was not normal for the temps to be in the 80's/90's at that time of the year, but it was appreciated by all.. As the name has changed to WORLD Champs, it reflects that racers came from Australia, Bermuda, Canada, Germany & Netherlands to run this one race. I will always make this a "must do" race from now on...
Old 11-01-2007, 01:38 PM
topfuel4430

Ok guys, the time is now.

The CMB club just approved the entry flyer for the 2008 World Tunnel Champs.

You can download/print the form by clicking HERE

This race has a 250 boat limit, and we expect it to fill up fast. DONT DELAY, get your entry form in ASAP. Any entries without payment will not be accepted. No phone or Email entries will be accepted. PLEASE PRINT the information clearly.

Any questions, let me know. I am the point of contact for this race.

Thanks, ~James Clegg, Charleston Model Boaters.

[email protected]
Old 11-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Ron Olson

Let's try this, [email protected] .
We seem to have some problems with certain characters on this site that try to convert letters into smilies.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:58 AM
topfuel4430

I didnt even catch that, thanks Ron!!

~James
Old 02-28-2008, 01:42 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's down to what, one month away now? I see a lot of familiar faces on the event entry list. I hope someone is able to take A LOT of video for the people who can not attend!

Ryan
Old 03-19-2008, 12:37 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One week now? James where are ya?

Ryan
Old 03-28-2008, 01:57 AM
Ron Olson

For those of you that are stuck keyboard racing and want to see some shots from the race, www.metimeproductions.com is putting up pictures daily on their site.
It looks like James is there and I found a shot with Grimmie in it.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:59 PM
nuzum

yep james and grimracer are there and fast right now and also dunlap and crew the lynx boats look good also !!!!! just down here whatching!!!
Old 03-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Ron Olson

Don't be afraid to go talk to these guys, you'll find that they all are nice people. I'll be seeing Mike next weekend if he isn't too partied out from the race.
I Mike is there with Big Bryan, watch those two as they race and pit for each other.
If you go through the pictures that have been updated you'll see a lot James Clegg, more of Grimmie with what appears to be the Top Speed 3 and Mark "OB nut" Scott from the backside, the guy wearing the stars and stripes bandana.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:33 PM
nuzum

everybuddy has been great ron !!!! man weather was bad lots of wind it was a game of survival and lots of lead today !!!!!!!! and man it got cold went from 80 yesterday to the 60"s today
Old 03-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Ron Olson

I wish that I could see 60 today. Right now it's 45 and I just got home from a short trip north and ended up by taking my coat off because it was so warm!
I've been to races also where the wind was a factor. That's where the smart racer wins by not trying to outdrive the conditions but it had to be murder to run a .21 in.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:14 PM
nuzum

man it was really bad big chop out there had too baby the 7.5 also
Old 03-30-2008, 11:49 PM
Ron Olson

The race is over so I have to cut this thread loose now as the race and smack talking is now over.
I've seen the results. Grimmie and Russ both did well there as well as JD. Congratulations to the members here! A few we can call World Champion!