Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Airlines' policy on radio equipment?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Airlines' policy on radio equipment?

Old 06-29-2007, 10:54 AM
Captain Nemo12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airlines' policy on radio equipment?

Hi guys,

I'm planning to make a trip across the border to Chicago this weekend and I thought about bringing some of my boats over. I'm thinking about putting my RC stuff (transmitter, batteries, etc) on a carry-on baggage. This is my first time transporting RC equipment by air... do airlines have a certain policy regarding radio equipment of this sort? I imagine since everything is FCC legal, there shouldn't be any problems.

Anybody want to share their experiences?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Airlines' policy on radio equipment?

There shouldn't be any problems. A friend of mine flew over from Australia with almost all of his boats, parts and radios. The only thing that he couldn't haul was fuel. Just to be extra safe you could leave the batteries at home so that they are inoperable.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You might want to be careful with what you carry as hand luggage though. Airport security are very nervous with anything "foreign". Any mystry wires, battery packs, basically anything that in the wrong hands could do wrong.

I think it would be smarter, quicker, and easier to have as much in your checked baggage as possible. I have transported a few RC boats via airlines but never in carry on.

I did carry a big old Stainless RC jet pump back from Australia. took 15 minutes to get that past airport security but I was not going to trust it to baggage handlers.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Captain Nemo12

The thing is, I don't really trust my RC equipment in the hands of baggage handlers either. The last time I travelled, I got back my baggage with locks broken and a big dent in my boat's hull.[&:] I just phoned the airline regarding their policy on carry-ons, the lady told me there shouldn't be any problems as long as batteries are removed from the transmitter.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:51 PM
topfuel4430

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I travel overseas for races a couple times a year and bring all of my stuff, most of the time I check it, but I have carried it on as well. One of our team drivers stuck his boat in his carry on bag and put it in the over head bin with about 8 inches of the boat sticking out of the bag. Of course, he happens to be a pilot for a major airline company and has a little pull. You should be alright, just take out the batteries.

~James
Old 06-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Captain Nemo12

Thanks!

What are the chances of batteries being removed from checked-in luggage?
Old 06-29-2007, 06:05 PM
LtDoc

If you mean 'them' removing the batteries, I sort of doubt it. Of course they might require that you remove them and package them separately. Doing so beforehand wouldn't hurt. If a battery just doesn't come out, such as being built into a boat, just tell them. See what they say. Honestly doubt if there would be a problem with that though.
If you mean would the batteries sort of 'disappear' from your luggage, beats me, but I sort of doubt that. (If it were me, I'd steal the whole thing, not just the batteries!)
- 'Doc
Old 06-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Some of the newer radio systems do have a lithium battery in them to help keep your settings but that shouldn't be a problem.
I hope that you're not flying into O'Hare! There was just a survey out and it was rated as one of the worst airports in the US. I've only driven by it, never been there.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:50 PM
Quicksilver1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, not experienced in transporting boats I'd say just package it well in your checked bag. Like you were shipping something UPS I saw the one post from germany. Unfortunately here in the states, these airports bother you for the most mundane of things, come on the people with the hair gel. and I hate to say but in all honesty it helps is your really white. sad, but true.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:59 AM
topfuel4430

The "post from Germany" was refering to me coming back home to race in the States, and trust me, when you come INTO the States from a foreign country (whether you are American like I am or not) you will get scrutinized more. But, they dont bother you that much, and If you are worried about it, just box it up and ship it to your destination before you leave. Its simple really.

The most popular method right now of transporting the actual boats is to use a large hard case golf bag. They will hold a couple 3.5-7.5 sized boats and lots of gear, the best thing is they wont charge you for being over the 50 pound weight limit like with regular checked baggage!

~James