Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

RC Battleship SMASHER

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Battleship SMASHER

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Ted Viti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Battleship SMASHER

Hello All,

I wonder if anyone can help me out. I Purchased a RC battleship THE SMASHER from Ebay. It works really good. However I think it runs a little too fast for me. The Question I have is...IS there ANYWAY too SLOW the motors down??? So it just like cruises in the water INSTEAD of going fast THEN when the battery dies STARTS slowing down to the speed i like?

PART 2.....
This is the Second Smasher I bought. The first one Filled with water the 2nd day i had used it. I couldn't get all the water out until i took it apart. Then The next time i used it The wires started to short out. Is there ANYWAY i can WATER PROOF this one so the same problem does not happen again?

I thank you for any help you can give.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:05 PM
RC_Bob

Default RE: RC Battleship SMASHER

I'm sorry about not answering your question but how did you take it apart. I just can't get the top off.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:51 PM
pompebled

ORIGINAL: RC_Bob

I'm sorry about not answering your question but how did you take it apart. I just can't get the top off.
Usually the NQD boats have the screws hidden under rubber stops and/or bollards.

Regards, Jan.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:01 PM
pompebled

Hi Ted,

The NQD boats don't have a speedcontroller, but relays, that simply switch the motors on or off.

If you want to be able to run it at the pace you like, you'll have to replace the electronics with a regular receiver, one or two ESC's (I don't know if the boat has 'vector steering'or a rudder.

Basically you're only keeping the bare hull with the propshaft(s) and motor(s) and install 'proper' running gear.

A crude and el-cheapo way to reduce the speed, would be to reduce the prop diameter.

Keep in mind these boats are cheap toys and are not intended for long term use like a scratch-build model, if you want to have longer boatlife, you'll have to adapt the boat to your likings.

Regards, Jan.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:11 PM
johnwaynesawyer

Ted - curious did you ever crack the code on the last screws? I am thinking of doing the same thing you might still be considering.
I already have an extra 5 channel RCVR and servos that will work with my JR radio. However - I am new to the electric side. I currently fly glow plug aircraft with no ESC or boat experience.

My biggest problem with the boat is lack of throttle and rudder and battery life seems short. If I could get this going, my sons (5 & 8) could have some fun with the thing - as is I am the only one that can drive it.

I have been reading up on the subject. I think the answer revolves around the decision to either remove one of the motors and put in one gear reducer that reaches both shafts or a belt of some type or buy two ESCs or one really big one and two gear reducers. After all that buy the rudder kit or kits and add the servo and add possibly another 700 mha rcvr battery just to run servos, & rcvr. I haven't looked at the motors yet so I don't know how much current they draw when stalled or if they are brushed or not. Short any hints from others, I think 27T brushed may be a good guess.

John
Old 08-07-2007, 07:03 PM
headhunter23

Ummm... couldn't you just ad some sort of resistors to slow voltage to motors? Not sure if u can do the same thing with dropping the amps by using resistors or some type of resistor. Would be as simple as splicing them in.

Ivan.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:49 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Forget the fanciful nonsense of specifying the number of turns in the motor. This kind of specification is handy for high performance applications like race boats, planes and buggys, but is pointless with a displacement hull.
Just ask fo a 385 or equivalent rated for abot twice the battery voltage. Then drop in a "proper" radio + ESC, or if it has two motors using vector steering, two ESCs. and possibly a mixer. The price will probably look high compared to the original cost of the boat, but that just reflects the savings that were made by making a toy rather than a model.
At the end of the process you will have a good looking boat that performs properly, hopefully for many years to come.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Ted Viti

Thank you all for replying.

Ok, From what i have learned about this ship already since this IS my second one...LOL All screws come out. The tricky part was in the front part of the ship just under the green plastic tanks, the plastic seems to be stuck under them. Firmly pull it out by lifting the green tanks. Firmly not rough. It will snap back in later when you put it back together.

Once all the screws are out, and you see the Darker color grey plastic undernieth Start slowly at the front of the ship. It will lift slightly. With a partner holding the ship from the back to steady it, slowly but firmly with fingers pri open. Slideing all the way down untill it all comes off. IN the hull that plastic is sitting in a fasiners. They are not glued, but snuggly in there. ONCE you have opened it, don't pull it right off, for there is the wiring that will still be connected. It will lift a few inches that you can see the motors. The chip with the wires are not coverd, And when water got into my hull thats what has shorted it out. The motors where already begining to corroad.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:32 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

The resistor idea would calm it down. To get the value you need to know the resistance of the motor - a resistor of about half that in each motor circuit will give approx half speed. You also need to know the current drain under load of each motor to figure out the power rating of the resistor to avoid either a too-big resistor, or a too-small one that will burn out. Assuming that US component prices still have the same relationship to UK prices, shouldcost about $1 for a pair of 7watt resistors.