Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help newbie boat faster now doesnt handle

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Help newbie boat faster now doesnt handle

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:25 AM
mrwazzo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help newbie boat faster now doesnt handle

Hi can someone help i have a deep v hull which is about 36" long. I have just upgraded to twin 3600 cells running 14.4 volts with a 700 motor and carbon prop, its a shaft drive but i have uprated it to bearings instead of the brass bushings and it has a steerable outdrive (which i know is not efficient buts its ok for time being).
Right it will handle full throttle although it does ride out the water quite a bit and is completely out of the water when riding the waves. Also when turning it now tends to spin out quite dramatically.
My question is it ok to be bouncing out the water is this normal or do i need to add trim tabs to try and stabalise it a little and how do i stop it spinning out so much?

Other than that its great fun.....brushless next me thinks
Old 07-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Default RE: Help newbie boat faster now doesnt handle

If the nose is bouncing up and down at speed, you may need to move some weight forward or add some trim tabs at the back. This will stop the nose from "porpoising".
If you are getting air off of waves, that is kind of normal.

A good captain knows to slow down in a turn.
However, a turn fin might help in this situation.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:27 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Trim tabs to persuade it to run more level, throttle control to calm it down when taking off/landing/turning. That's the throttle man's job in real racers.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:44 PM
mrwazzo

Cheers bit less eager on the throttle then...its too many years of racing touring cars n 12th flat out through turns!!
Have asked mate to make me some trim tabs and turn fins up as he works in a metal shop with a cad machine.
Think it was just in the air cos of the waves flight was pretty level so think balance front to back is about right, at least when it caught some air as in whole hull out the water it landed level and flat and just carried on not nose diving and going under.
Well enjoying it so far and loving going faster n faster not many places race round her so just enjoying the full throttle action
Old 07-25-2007, 04:17 PM
pompebled

Spinning badly is a 'feature' of a steering outdrive, as there is nothing 'rudderlike' to keep the rear in line..., keep the movement of the outdrive as small as possible, it gives you wider turns, less chance of spinning out and a longer life for the outdrive.

A turnfin will help.

Got any pictures of your boat?

Regards, Jan.